Dimensions for the panels
- Panel size: 10" x 10" When designing, allow 1/4" for the boarder
Where to purchase material
- You can purchase material (100% cotton is preferred) at a Joann’s store, quilting shop, or just cut up a clean shirt or other piece of clothing (perhaps something from a loved one).
- Medium-weight, non-stretch fabrics such as poplin work best (do not use t-shirts – they stretch too much).
Design Your Panel
- Sketch out your design so you know what you want before you start creating.
- If this is a memorial panel, provide the name of the person you are remembering. You can include specifics like dates of birth and death, special talents. But please limit each panel to one person.
- Please don’t use glue. Glue cracks and will wear out as the quilt gets folded and unfolded.
Possible techniques for decorating the panel:
- Paint: fabric paints or permanent ink pens. Don’t use puffy paint – it won’t last.
- Stencils: trace the design onto the panel with a pencil, then use fabric paints, permanent markers, or even embroider to create your design.
- Collage: use materials that won’t tear the fabric (glass and sequins can tear the fabric so avoid those); avoid bulky items.
- Photos: you can photo-copy pictures onto iron-on transfers and iron them on to the 100% cotton fabric, then sew that fabric to the panel.
- Applique: You can sew fabric, letters, and small items onto the background fabric.
Where to Submit Your Panel
- On Campus: We are unable to accept panels until we have been cleared to come back to campus.
- Completed panels with the panel maker form can be dropped off at Craven 6120 once back on campus. Do NOT come to campus to drop off the panel until we have been cleared to allow people on campus again.