- Global Education
- Undergraduate International Admissions
- Graduate International Admissions
- Prospective Applicants
- International Students
- International Friendship Program
- American Language and Culture Institute
- Study Abroad
- Summer Programs
- Exchange Programs
- CSU International Programs
- Other Programs
- Credit Approval
- Financial Aid
- Fulbright Programs
- Traveling Tukwut Study Abroad Fair 2013
- Study Abroad Fair Exhibitor Registration
- Faculty and Departments
- Global Partners
- Agents and Prospective Exchange Partners
- Travel Resources
- Calendar of Events
Summer in Ecuador 2013: Intercultural Medicine in the Andes
Live in Quito and attend courses at the prestigious CIMAS Academy taught by a collaborative team of researchers and community educators, including Drs. Bonnie Bade, Dolores Lopez, Jose Suarez, Jorge Chavez, Jose Farinago, and indigenous medical specialists Matilde Farinago and Guillermo Santillan.
During your time abroad, you will:
- Learn about traditional medical practices
- Visit hospitals and clinics engaging in Intercultural Medicine
- Study the worldview of medicinal healing from Shaman Jacha Santillan
- Discover how Quichua farmers practice medical ethnobotany.
June 1 - 28
Course could be used for Anthropology 301/498; Sociology 495, 419 or 424; HD 495/Multicultural Perspectives requirement; KINE 495/KINE UD Elective and may work toward requirements for Nursing, Global Studies, and Continuing Medical Education (CMEs) and Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for Medical Professionals.
Spanish 201-tentative--Intermediate Spanish Language
Language of Instruction:
English. No knowledge of Spanish or Latin American culture assumed.
- Class level: Students with upper-division standing by the end of Spring 2013
- GPA: 2.75 and above; good academic standing
3 units ANTH 301/498 or SOC 495/419/424 or HD 495/Multicultural Perspectives requirement or KINE 495/KINE UD Elective;
3 units Spanish
Upon arrival to Quito, participants will stay at an appointed hotel near the airport. Thereafter, all program participants will be assigned to individual rooms with a homestay family for the duration of their stay in Quito. The homestay environment will offer wonderful insights into the Ecuadorian culture and many practical benefits of Spanish language practice. Most homestays can only accommodate one student. Careful attention will be given to placing students in the environment best suited to their personalities and preferences. Two meals a day (breakfast & dinner) and weekly laundry comes with your homestay placement. Other meals can be purchased within an easy distance of the Academy.
This program also includes 4 days of field trips in neighboring cities with shared hotel accommodation provided in program costs.
$3,200 + Extended Learning Fees (TBD)
All fees include tuition, partial room and board (breakfast/dinner), medical insurance, and four days of excursions. Daily lunch, airfare and personal expenditures are NOT included in the program cost.
Some useful airfare search engines:
Please be sure to read the fine print concerning change fees, taxes, luggage restrictions, etc. before booking. Whenever possible, book directly with an airline.
- Attend an information session led by Program Leader, Bonnie Bade.
- Print out the application materials below. All application materials must be received by Friday, March 29, 2013 along with your non-refundable $300 deposit to the Office of Global Education. Only cash, checks, or money orders will be accepted. Please make checks payable to CSUSM.
- Final payment of $2,900 is due on Wednesday, May 1, 2013 to the Office of Global Education.
- A mandatory pre-departure orientation will be held with Professor Bade to discuss arrival instructions and the upcoming course. Proof of attendance will be recorded.
Summer in Ecuador 2013 Application:
- Summer in Ecuador 2013 Application
- Medical Disclosure Form
- Air Travel and Hold Harmless Statement
- Foreign Study Universty Contract
- Homestay Application Form
- Personal Conduct Agreement
- Flight Information Form
- Photocopy of Passport Picture Page (signed)
Attend an Upcoming Info Session:
Tuesday, March 26, 12:00-12:30 p.m., SBSB 1104