- Global Education
- Undergraduate International Admissions
- Graduate International Admissions
- Prospective Applicants
- International Students
- International Friendship Program
- American Language and Culture Institute
- Study Abroad
- January Term Programs
- Summer Programs
- Exchange Programs
- CSU International Programs
- Other Programs
- Credit Approval
- Financial Aid
- Fulbright Programs
- Traveling Tukwut Study Abroad Fair 2014
- Study Abroad Fair Exhibitor Registration
- Faculty and Departments
- Global Partners
- Agents and Prospective Exchange Partners
- Travel Resources
- Calendar of Events
Summer in Ecuador 2015: Intercultural Medicine in the Andes
Live in Quito and attend courses at the prestigious CIMAS Academy taught by a collaborative team of researchers and community educators, including Drs. Bonnie Bade, Dolores Lopez, Jose Suarez, Jorge Chavez, Jose Farinago, and indigenous medical specialists Matilde Farinago and Guillermo Santillan.
During your time abroad, you will:
- Learn about traditional medical practices
- Visit hospitals and clinics engaging in Intercultural Medicine
- Study the worldview of medicinal healing from Shaman Jacha Santillan
- Discover how Quichua farmers practice medical ethnobotany.
May 31 - June 26 (depart May 29 to arrive by May 30; program ends June 26, may depart June 27)
Course could be used for Anthropology 301/498; Sociology 495, 419 or 424; KINE 495/KINE UD Elective and may work toward requirements for Nursing, Global Studies, Communication, and Continuing Medical Education (CMEs) and Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for Medical Professionals.
Spanish 201/266--Intermediate Spanish Language
Language of Instruction:
English. No knowledge of Spanish or Latin American culture assumed. (For students without formal training in Spanish, one semester's worth of beginning Spanish can be earned)
- Class level: Students with upper-division standing by the end of Spring 2015
- GPA: 2.75 and above; good academic standing
3 units ANTH 301/498 or SOC 495/419/424 or KINE 495/KINE UD Elective. Other courses might be possible; please consult faculty leader, Bonnie Bade.
3 units Spanish
Upon arrival to Quito, participants will stay at an appointed hotel near the airport. Thereafter, all program participants will be assigned to individual rooms with a homestay family for the duration of their stay in Quito. The homestay environment will offer wonderful insights into the Ecuadorian culture and many practical benefits of Spanish language practice. Most homestays can only accommodate one student. Careful attention will be given to placing students in the environment best suited to their personalities and preferences. Two meals a day (breakfast & dinner) and weekly laundry comes with your homestay placement. Other meals can be purchased within an easy distance of the Academy.
This program also includes 4 days of field trips in neighboring cities with shared hotel accommodation provided in program costs.
$3,450 + Extended Learning Fees (TBD, estimated from $252-$572)
All fees include tuition, partial room and board (breakfast/dinner), medical insurance, and four days of excursions. Daily lunch, airfare and personal expenditures are NOT included in the program cost.
Some useful airfare search engines:
Please be sure to read the fine print concerning change fees, taxes, luggage restrictions, etc. before booking. Whenever possible, book directly with an airline.
- Attend an information session led by Program Leader, Bonnie Bade.
- Print out the application materials below. All application materials must be received by Monday, April 6, 2015 along with your non-refundable $300 deposit to the Office of Global Education. Only cash, checks, or money orders will be accepted. Please make checks payable to CSUSM.
- Final payment of $3,150 is due on Monday, May 4, 2015 to the Office of Global Education.
- A mandatory pre-departure orientation will be held with Professor Bade to discuss arrival instructions and the upcoming course. Proof of attendance will be recorded.
Summer in Ecuador 2015 Application:
- Summer in Ecuador 2015 Application
- Medical Disclosure Form
- Air Travel and Hold Harmless Statement
- Foreign Study Universty Contract
- Homestay Application Form
- Personal Conduct Agreement
- Flight Information Form
- Photocopy of Passport Picture Page (signed)
Attend an Upcoming Info Session:
Monday, April 6, 12:30 p.m., SBSB 1104
Wednesday, April 8, 12:30 p.m., SBSB 1104
Thursday, April 9, 12:30 p.m., SBSB 1104