department menu

Applying for Disability Support Services

Starting at a new educational institution brings with it a whole host of challenges and transitions to a new environment. It is important to understand that there is no way for Disability Support Services (DSS) to know which newly admitted students have a disability and will require reasonable accommodations. Students who require reasonable accommodations due to a documented disability will need to contact DSS in order to formally apply for services.

Students interested in applying for DSS services will need to complete an Application for Support Services and provide updated disability documentation which clearly explains their current functional limitations. It is often much easier to have a current treatment provider fill out the Disability Verification Form which will need to be done only once, unless the disability is temporary. Students who need to have an Emotional Support Animal for on campus housing will need to complete the Emotional Support Animal Verification Form and fill out the Emotional Support Animal Agreement when they meet with a DSS counselor. Students can contact the DSS Office to have the Application for Support Services, Disability Verification Form, Emotional Support Animal Verification Form and Emotional Support Animal Agreement form emailed or mailed to them. In addition, these forms are available on this website in an accessible format.

Making The Transition

Transitioning from one educational institution to another will often bring with it a significant amount of changes, challenges and experiences.  It is important to understand that the reasonable accommodations you might have received elsewhere may not be the exact ones you will be authorized to receive at your next educational institution. This is particularly true in postsecondary education where IEPs, 504 Plans and IDEA no longer apply.  In fact, each postsecondary institution has the right to evaluate a student’s request for reasonable accommodations and determine which ones they will authorize.  This is often based on an evaluation of the disability documentation and consultation with the student.

You will find information within this section of the DSS homepage that will help to clarify the differences between K-12 and postsecondary education in terms of special education.  Additional information is provided on frequently asked questions we have received from students in the past.