Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
MLK Day 2023 - Saturday, January 14
In honoring Dr. King’s legacy and life serving others, each year on MLK Day of Service, the North San Diego County (NSDC) NAACP, MiraCosta College (MCC) Service Learning and CSUSM's Service Learning and Civic Engagement (SLCE) bring to life his vision of neighbors working together to build a better future through volunteerism and service to our communities. This day is designed to help empower individuals, strengthen communities, bridge barriers, address social problems, and move us closer to Dr. King’s vision of a “Beloved Community.”
Students, faculty, staff and community members are welcomed to volunteer at various sites around north county San Diego on Saturday, January 14, 2023 from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm. All volunteers will meet at MiraCosta College at 8:00 AM that day with check-in and light breakfast snacks beginning at 7:00 AM.
Participants are asked to RSVP to volunteer. As the date nears, the community partner sites will be shared with registered volunteers.
A National Day of Service Tradition
Video provided by AmeriCorps MLK Day of Service.
Virtually Engage with Dr. King's Speeches
Engage in this virtual reality experience to hear and "witness" some of Dr. King's historical speeches reimagined in the digital space.
Scholars and researchers at North Carolina State University produced a virtual reality experience of King's "Fill Up the Jails" speech and more. This Day of Service take time to experience the Virtual Martin Luther King, Jr. Project.
Past Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
- 2021 Virtual Day of Service Week
For 2021 CSUSM collaborated with the Presidential Inaugural Committee (PIC) to promote the National Day of Service on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Cal State San Marcos students, faculty, staff and community partners are encouraged to volunteer virtually for the 2021 Virtual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service (MLK Day of Service).
Participants virtually volunteered between Thursday, January 15 to Monday, January 18, 2021.
- 2021 Virtual Volunteer Opportunities
This Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, opt for a "Day On not a Day Off" by committing to serve at least one (1) hour or more to one of the following opportunities. No matter the time frame, we appreciate your willingness to serve community from home!
- Smithsonian Museum Transcription - As a Digital Volunteer you will transcribe historical documents to make them more accessible.
- Operation Gratitude - Contribute to a care package by writing a thank you letter to military and first responders. Operation Gratitude will send you a letter writing kit to start!
- National Archives - Become a citizen archivist by tagging, transcribing and, making records more accessible and searchable.
- Love it Forward List - Send a note, drawing, origami, or collage to send a message of love and hope to someone in need.
- LibroVox - Record yourself reading chapters of a book to be added to a public domain audiobook platform.
- Virtual Tech Ambassador - Train with the San Diego Futures Foundation to co-facilitate a Digital Literacy Training. Be sure to register to volunteer in advance.
- Words Alive! Page Turners - Read and review books from the Words Alive! recommendation list to determine which books should be added to their program curriculum.
If you have suggestions for a virtual opportunity projects or or would like more information about this event, contact the department of Civic Engagement at CivicEngagement@csusm.edu.