Success Coaching Program
A little More About Success Coaching
Success coaching is a critical, individualized practice designed to motivate students,
teach them how to plan, reflect, make decisions, and learn effective strategies for
being successful. Because success coaching is a proactive outreach process to students,
we do not wait for the students to develop a problem. We begin building a relationship
with them right away. Success Coaches will manage a caseload of students who are being
engaged through email, text, video, or CougarBot chat.
- Involves life skills development & bi-weekly conversations with students from the
point of admission through the first year.
- Builds relationships with students and integrates them into the university support
- Identifies students for coaching based on preparation.
- Complements academic advising and current retention initiatives.
- Offers support via prescribed assignments based on developmental models.
Success Coaching Overview
Why Implement a Success Coaching Program?
- Assist undeserved students to increase persistence rates to their sophomore year.
- Provide resources that encourage personal and academic success to first-generation
- Reduce educational inequities and offer an equity-minded student support services.
- Prepare students for independent decision making and learning.
- Best practices of coaching have demonstrated improvements in those students who received
Types of Services provided
- Goal Setting
- Financial Literacy Training
- Academic Support/Referral
- Health & Wellness Support
- Career Readiness Support
- Organizational Skills/Time Management
- Decision Making Skills
- Engagement with Campus Community/Sense of Belonging
- Crisis Management/Referrals
- Graduation Guidance
Benefits of the Success Coaching Program
- Self-awareness, self-discoveries and a sense of belong in a safe and trustworthy environment.
- Students are guided as they gain increased awareness of their interests and abilities.
- Students are guided as they learn how to make decisions that promote goal achievement
- Students are guided as they learn why certain decisions hindered their goal achievement
- Students are exposed top new possibilities and options that can result in goal achievement
Success Coaching on a large scale does require a paradigm shift in thinking and understanding. Our
success coaches will use a case management approach as they work to support their
clients. Each success coach will be assigned a caseload of full time first-year students
to monitor and support for the entirety of their first academic year.