Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Success Coaching?Success Coaches work one-on-one with first-year students to teach them skills that help students maximize their college experience both inside and outside the classroom. The primary goal is to connect with, engage, and empower students to become a successful undergraduate. Students are expected to meet with their Success Coach regularly and the frequency of these meetings is determined based on each student's individual needs. Success Coaches will also work to connect students to other campus support services and student engagement on campus.
- Who is eligible?
- How long are individual sessions?
Individual sessions generally range from 30-60 minutes. However, Success Coaches will remain engaged with you until you have reached a positive solution and/or feel supported.
- How often will I meet with my Success Coach?Students are expected to meet with their coach regularly. Success Coaches work with students on determining how often that is based on the need of the student. Generally speaking, you can expect to meet with your Success Coach at least twice per semester.
- How do I know who my Success Coach is?
Students will receive a welcome letter from their Success Coach via CSUSM email by August 2023.
- What will my Success Coach and I talk about?
Typical success coaching meetings are individualized and based on student needs and personal goals. The initial meeting with can last up to 30 minutes as you and your success coaching begin to get to know each other.
- Will my parents be informed of what I discuss during my coaching sessions?
Due to FERPA regulations, Success Coaches are not permitted to share information discussed in success coaching sessions with parents. If you want your parents to be involved, you will need to let us know directly. We will need to get permission to speak with your parents in writing from you.
- Who are the Success Coaches?
You can visit our website to meet the team and view individual Success Coach profiles.
- How do I schedule an appointment with my Success Coach?You can call, email, or schedule a meeting with your Success Coach directly through MS Teams.
- What happens if I don't make my success coaching appointment or need to reschedule?
The Office of Success Coaching requires at least 24 hours’ notice to cancel or reschedule appointments. This helps to ensure other students are able to meet with their Success Coach in a timely manner.