Professional Mentor Program
The CoBA Professional Mentor Program, coordinated by the CoBA Advisory Board, gives students a unique opportunity to learn directly from business professionals in a one-on-one relationship. Stone Brewery supports this program by hosting the Kick Off and Wrap Up events.
Selected students (mentees) will each be paired with a professional mentor for one academic year. Mentors are volunteers from organizations in the San Diego county area and will come from various industries and backgrounds.
Mentor and mentee pairs will decide how often to meet and the kind of activities they will do together. These activities could include, but are not limited to: career discussions, networking events, professional meetings, job shadow, etc. Ultimately, the relationship is intended to help the mentee learn keys to success in their chosen field. We provide mentors and mentees with preliminary information and tips on how to make the most of their time together. Once the introductions are made, however, the progression of the mentorship is determined by the mentor and mentee.
The application period for the 2014-15 academic year has ended. Applications for 2015-16 will be accepted in April, 2015.
To apply for this program students must meet the following criteria:
- Current CoBA student (business status) enrolled part-time or full-time
- Have a strong desire to be in a mentoring program
- Have a clear idea of career interests
- Demonstrate understanding of professional behavior and habits
Preference will be given to students who have demonstrated some commitment to academic success, extracurricular involvement, and career readiness. Although GPA will be considered, CoBA will look at the overall application and not just GPA.
- Application Period: April 6 - May 15, 2015 (for the 2015-16 academic year)
- Program Orientation: September
- Program Kickoff Reception: September
- Midpoint Lunch: November and February
- Program Wrap-Up: April
The application process consists of two steps:
1) Complete the online application (available April 6, 2015)
2) Submit your resume and unofficial transcript in .doc or .PDF format on CougarJOBS
- Retrieve unofficial transcript from MyCSUSM, print document as a .PDF
- Upload resume and unofficial transcript to your CougarJOBS profile first, then do a job search for "CoBA Mentee". Upload the resume and unoffical transcript to the posting