The goal of Career Readiness in CHABSS is to significantly increase the professional preparedness of the graduates of the College of Humanities, Arts, Behavioral and Social Sciences. We seek to expand the range of career options for graduates, improve the connection between the college and community members, and encourage faculty to be leaders in pedagogy and curriculum regarding career readiness in the liberal arts.
The mission of the CHABSS Career Network is to enhance our students' career readiness by connecting them with mentors consisting of regional professionals, alumni, business, non-profit and community leaders. Mentors and mentees will be matched by career interests and will use face-to-face, phone, and online communications to discuss professional etiquette, interview skills, resume writing, and job searching strategies.
The Career Network supports first-generation college students with both 1:1 Mentor-Mentee interactions and small group discussions. This network will build upon existing pathways—including the CSUSM Career Center and the Faculty Mentoring Program—for making connections to resources to support their future career goals.
Career Network Brochure (Students)
Mentee Sign-Up Form to join the Career Network.
Career Network Brochure
Mentor Application to join the Career Network.
"My mentor…taught me how to pick apart a job description to the bone and look for
key words and how to use these words to my advantage when job interviewing. She also
taught me how to structure my resume and cover letter to appeal more to the jobs I
am applying/will apply for. Most importantly, she's taught me how to take initiative...and helped push me to take charge and set up
informational interviews. Because of this I now have an internship with the county
of San Diego. All in all this a great program that helps immensely with connections
—A.E. , CSUSM Alumni, Anthropology
Students: Seeking an internship? Several departments in the College of Humanities, Arts, Behavioral and Social Sciences offer credit-bearing Internship courses.
- Are you interested in learning more about the college-wide career readiness and professional communication course? Email Leo Melena or Judit Hersko for more information.
- Do you have news related to the goals of the CHABSS Career Readiness from your work with students? Email news and success stories to share with the larger community to Leo Melena.
- Application is closed for the Academic Year 2021-2022 Career Network! Come back here in the spring and through the summer for the next academic year to apply for Career Network. In the meantime, check out the brochure.
- For updates on career and employment opportunities please check with the Career Center
- Information sessions about CSU Internship programs like the CSU Entertainment Industry Initiative
Community Members and Employers
- Application to be a mentor for the Career Network! Check out the brochure.
- Serve as a panelist to share your career experiences with students
- Is your organization interested in developing an internship program? Contact Leo Melena to learn more.
For more information about mentoring, internships, or Career Readiness events, contact Leo Melena.
Check out our archive for details about past events.