Your  Account:

Live-On Housing Exemption

Process for Housing Exemption

PLEASE NOTE: Non-local admissions area students must be approved for exemption or complete the housing application process in order to register for orientation. 

Students must complete the Housing Exemption request for the Fall semester if they are seeking an exemption from the Freshman Live-On Requirement.

Requests must include all supporting documentation; in order for the request to be considered, all required documentation must be submitted by the deadline. Incomplete requests will not be considered.

All requests will be reviewed within 5-7 business days; students will be notified of their approval status via the email address provided on the request.

Students may be required to speak with a Housing representative to inquire about options available.

If the exemption request is approved, the registration hold will be lifted from the student’s account and he/she will be able to register for New Student Orientation and classes.

If the exemption is denied, the student will be notified required to complete a housing lease agreement within 10 business days or request an appeal.

Exemption Criteria

The following are acceptable reasons for a housing exemption so long as the proper supporting documentation is submitted and approved.

  1. Independent student status
  2. Married, domestically partnered, and/or with legally dependent children
  3. Medical and disability circumstances
  4. Current active military or veteran’s status
  5. Living at home with parent/guardian
  6. Limited credit student
  7. Financial Hardship
  8. Other: Where it can be conclusively demonstrated that special circumstances exist which would create a substantial personal hardship which is impacted by living on campus and cannot be remedied by alternative means

Required Supporting Documentation

  1. Independent student status – Signed letter formalizing that the student maintains independent status. Verification is required.
  2. Married, domestically partnered, and/or with legally dependent children – Copies of marriage certificate or certificate of registration of domestic partnership and/or child’s birth certificates.
  3. Medical and disability circumstances – Documentation from a licensed physician must verify circumstances which prohibits the students from being able to successfully live in student housing.
  4. Current active military or veteran’s status – Copy of the DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release and Discharge from Active Duty) or written proof of current active military duty.
  5. Living at home with parent/guardian – Completed and signed Parent/Guardian notification form
  6. Limited credit student - Students carrying six (6) credit hours or less per semester may be granted an exemption. Verification is required.
  7. Financial hardship – Student must provide documentation to substantiate financial hardship. Appropriate documentation varies with the situation, but some form of external documentation that supports the claim of a hardship must be signed and submitted.
  8. Other –Signed letter formalizing that the student has special circumstances that would warrant an exemption from housing. Verification is required.

NOTE: Please delete or remove Social Security Numbers from any documents prior to submitting them.

Exemption Form

First time freshmen from Outside the CSUSM Local Admissions Area are required to live in on-campus or campus affiliated housing for their first year.  Students who wish to request an exemption from this requirement should complete the information notated in the form by following the link below and submit this form with all applicable documentation as outlined below. First time freshmen who will be 21 on or before the first day of fall semester do not need to apply for an exemption and will be automatically exempted based on the birth date year listed on their student records.  Students that will be living at home with parent or legal guardian during their entire freshman year must complete applicable section below. Local service area and outside local service area is defined by the high school you attend and is outlined on the Admissions website.

 Housing Exemption Form