department menu

Foreign National Student Employee

Foreign student employees are those who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents, but are eligible to work in the U.S.  They can either be classified as Non-Resident Alien Student Assistants, Resident Alien Student Assistants or Instructional Student Assistants, depending on the nature of their work and length of time in the United States.  Please see Classifications & Pay Rates for more detailed information.

Upon signing in with Human Resources, foreign student employees are required to complete an online registration process using the GLACIER Online Tax Compliance System.  New foreign student employees will receive login information from Human Resources at the time of sign-in and an e-mail from Payroll with instructions for logging into GLACIER.  Students are required to complete their GLACIER information online and print a hard copy of all tax residency forms.  Students must hand deliver the forms to Human Resources/Payroll and bring the following documents:

  • I-9 Form
  • Social Security Card
  • Driver's License
  • Passport
  • I-94
  • Visa
    • I-20 (required for F-1 Visa holders)
    • Form I - 797 (required for H1-B Visa holders)
    • Form DS - 2019 (required for J-1 Visa holders)
  • SPAR Form
  • Glacier Tax Summary Report
    • Form W-4
    • Form W-BEN
    • Form 8233 (for treaty exemptions)
    • Treaty Attachment

Once all required forms are submitted, Payroll will assign the employees' tax residency status.

Please feel free to contact Payroll Services at 760-750-4421 should you have any questions.