Building Marshal Program
The Cal State San Marcos Building Marshal program was developed to facilitate the safe evacuation of campus buildings and to assist emergency responders. This program is staffed by trained campus employees who work in the individual classroom and office buildings throughout the campus. When an evacuation is necessary, the Building Marshals assist with:
- Assist in the safe and complete evacuation of a building.
- Assist University Police in preventing re-entry by non-emergency responders until the building has been deemed safe.
- Reporting injured or trapped persons to emergency responders.
- Building Marshals will report the status of their assigned area of responsibility to emergency responders.
- Building Marshals are responsible for clearing all people from an assigned floor. On floors where two or three individuals are designated as Building Marshals, those Building Marshals will be responsible for an assigned area. Once a sweep has been conducted, Building Marshals will go to designated Evacuation Zones outside their building and report the status of their floor to Responders.
- MAP - CAMPUS EVACUATION ZONES
- MAP - TEMECULA CAMPUS EVAUATION ZONES
An earthquake has taken place in close proximity to the campus. The fire alarms have been activated indicating the need to evacuate the building. As a Building Marshal, you will quickly sweep your assigned office suite or a predetermined section of your floor. Once completed, you will exit the building and report to your designated Evacuation Zone, inform emergency responders that your area has been evacuated and await further assignments.
As a Building Marshal, you will report to the designated evacuation zone for your building and wait for an All Clear notification. As Building Marshals, you may be re-assign to cover all entry points to your building from a safe location to ensure no one attempts to re-enter the building until determined safe to do so.
The Building Marshals will proceed to conduct a head count in the designated evacuation zone. The Building Marshals will then relay this information and any other concerns (i.e. trapped/injured occupants) to Emergency Responders.