Lockdown - Active Shooter
RUN, HIDE, FIGHT
In the event of an Active Shooter or Gunman on campus, University Police will activate
lockdown procedures until the situation is secure. It is important to identify Lockdown
Rooms in advance, move to the lockdown room, turn off lights, close blinds, silence
cell phones until University Police informs you it is now safe to exit your location.
In general, how you respond to an active shooter will be dictated by the specific
circumstances of the encounter.
If you are near an area where a shooting or shooter is identified, take whatever actions
necessary to protect yourself. Situational Awareness if key, if the shooter is in
your area get away from it. Use any means necessary to get out or away from the incident.
If you receiving an emergency alert but are not hearing gun fire, screams or seeing
an assailant, lockdown immediately.
- Lockdown – Move quickly to your identified lockdown room or a room that is easily
lockable. Stay in that location until University Police informs you that it is safe
to exit or you receive and all clear notification.
- Lock all entrances to your location.
- Close blinds
- Turn off the lights.
- Silence cell phones.
- Stay low to the ground and hide until the situation has ended.
- Work in groups, develop a plan, just in case the shooter is able to make it into your
One of the instructions you may be given in an emergency is to shelter-in-place. This
means you should stay indoors until authorities tell you it is safe or you are told
In case of a biological or potential weather event:
- Select a small, interior room, with no or few windows.
- Close and lock all windows and exterior doors.
- Turn off all fans, heating and air conditioning systems. Close the fireplace damper.
- Bring your family disaster supply kit and make sure the radio is working.
- It is ideal to have a hard-wired telephone in the room you select (cellular telephone
equipment may be overwhelmed or damaged during an emergency)
- Use duct tape and plastic sheeting (heavier than food wrap) to seal all cracks around
the door and any vents into the room.
- Listen to your radio or television for further instructions or updates.
- If you are in your car, close windows and turn off vents and air conditioning.