Power cuts can occur due to Power Safety Power Shutdown, rolling blackouts, extreme
weather conditions, or can accompany other disasters such as earthquakes. If there
is no power in your neighborhood:
- Turn off and unplug appliances and computers. Leave one light on to indicate when
power has been restored.
- Avoid using candles, as they are fire hazards.
- Do not use a gas stove for heating or operate generators indoors (including the garage.)
Both could cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
- If a traffic signal is not working, treat it as a stop sign.
- See the Food section to learn about food safety when your refrigerator’s power is