Student Health Advisory Council
The Student Health Advisory Council (SHAC) are a student group that assists and advises Student Health & Counseling Services by identifying campus health-related issues and expressing student needs and perspectives. This voluntary advisory council's mission is to ensure high quality, confidential and professional primary and preventative health care for CSUSM students.
Why should I apply to be a SHAC member?
SHAC members have an opportunity to engage with other students and professionals to improve the health and wellbeing of the campus community.
- Collaborate with other students and SHCS staff
- Provide recommendations regarding the operation and services of the Student Health and Counseling Center
- Advocate for the health concerns and needs of students
- Join in the HOPE & Wellness Center's outreach and health promotion activities
- Gain leadership, organizational, and hands-on skills and experience
- Explore health and other careers
- Connect on campus in a meaningful way
How do I apply to become a SHAC member?
Membership is open to all regularly enrolled CSUSM students and is intended to be widely representative of the student body. Students interested in more information or wishing to join SHAC are encouraged to call the staff advisor at 760-750-4917. Please apply to be a SHAC member.
What is the commitment as a SHAC member?
We encourage students to be committed for one academic year starting September - April for a total of 6 hours for scheduled meetings. Meetings will be held in SHCS on the 4th Thursdays of the month @ 12-1 pm. (September -December and February-April).