department menu

Travel of Less than 24 Hours

When an entire length of trip is less than 24 hours, IRS regulations state that meals and incidental expenses shall not be reimbursed unless the travel includes an "overnight stay" as supported by a lodging receipt. 

Meal reimbursements associate with trips without an overnight stay must be reported to the IRS as taxable income. The amount will be reported to Payroll and included in the employee's W-2 form. Please be reminded that under NO circumstances will expenses for lunch be reimbursed for travel of less than 24 hours.

For more information on this policy, please refer to the CSU Travel Policy