department menu

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I register?


    There are four (4) easy ways to register for NON-CREDIT classes:

    1. By Phone - (760) 750-4020 or (800) 500-9377
    2. Online Secure Registration - Find a course and click "Register Now"
    3. By Mail - Cal State San Marcos, Extended Learning, 333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Rd., San Marcos, CA 92096
    4. In Person -  333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Rd., Viasat Engineering Pavillion (VEP), Room 5-107, San Marcos

    To register for CREDIT classes including Open University, academic credit Special Session classes, or degree programs, please follow the specific registration procedures outlined on our site.

    If you have a hold on your account, we will not be able to register you until the hold is resolved. To clear your hold please contacts the Cashier's Office at (760) 750-4491.

  • When and how can I pay for a class?

    Fees for non-credit classes are due at the time of registration. We accept MasterCard, VISA, Discover Card, American Express, check, and company purchase orders. Please read our policy on declined credit cards and dishonored checks. Rejected e-checks are subject to a $4.50 fee. You may also pay with check or money order, in person at Extended Learning (Monday through Friday only), or mail a check or money order made payable to Cal State San Marcos Extended Learning.  No credit card payments can be accepted by mail. For online registration, Extended Learning accepts MasterCard, Discover Card, American Express and e-check payments securely. Cal State San Marcos Alumni Members receive a 15 percent savings on most non-credit programs.

    The Cal Vet Waiver does not apply to the Extended Learning degree programs including ABSN, RN-BSN, RN-MSN, MBt, and B.S. in Kinesiology.

  • Where are classes held?

    Most classes are held on the CSUSM Temecula campuses unless noted otherwise in the course description. Confirmation notice will contain building and room assignments. If your class is being held at an off-campus location, please call us at (951) 676-9254 for directions. Or, click these links for maps to our Margarita campus and the Temecula Higher Education Center (THE Center).
  • Where do I park?

    Parking is free at CSUSM Temecula, both for students and for Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) members who are taking courses at CSUSM Temecula.
  • What kinds of credit do you offer & what do the different course numberings indicate?

    Extended Learning provides a number of credit options, and both non-credit and credit programs. The course numbers indicate the type of credit and type of course. 

    CSUSM academic credit courses are “measured” in semester units. Academic credit represents a measure of time, with one unit of credit equivalent to 15 fifty-minute hours of instruction. University courses offered through Extended Learning and numbered in the 300s, 400s, 500s and 600s are drawn from the regular upper-division and graduate curricula of the University (600-level courses are designed for graduate students specifically).

    Special Sessions

    A prefix of “E” before the course number indicates that it was taken through Extended Learning as a “Special Session” course. A maximum of 24 semester-units of credit earned in such courses may be accepted in a baccalaureate degree program and six semester-units toward master’s programs at CSUSM.

    Extension Credit Courses

    Extended Learning professional development courses, (those numbered 1000 or above), are developed to meet special needs of groups or communities, particularly teachers. These classes confer extension credit, denoting an investment of time and accomplishment comparable to that required in established University courses. This credit is generally honored by school districts as evidence of professional advancement for salary increments/increases on the pay scale.


    The Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is a nationally recognized unit of measurement for a variety of noncredit programs applying toward re-licensure, promotion or career advancement. CEU credit is not applicable toward degrees, credentials or credential renewal. Some re-licensing boards may require that renewal information be expressed in Continuing Education Contact Hours (CECH). Ten Continuing Education Contact Hours are equivalent to one Continuing Education Unit. Each hour of instruction equals one CECH or .1 CEU.

  • What are your cancellation, drop and refund policies?

    Non-Credit Courses

    For all non-credit classes, cancellation notifications must be made in writing. Written notice may be made by e-mail to or fax to 760-750-3138, or mailed with postmark date three days before the first day of class to receive a full refund (less a $20 administrative fee). Unfortunately, no refunds will be issued after the first class meeting. No refunds will be granted for online classes once the online material has been accessed by the student. Substitutions may be made with written notice at any time before the course begins. "NO SHOWS" ARE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYMENT IN FULL.

    Credit Courses

    For credit courses, you can drop your courses anytime via the MyCSUSM student portal at You will need your student ID and password. If you do not know your student ID and password, you may contact the Student Help Desk at (760) 750-6505.

    *Please note: Extended Learning credit courses follow a different fee and refund schedule than do the regular campus courses. Most Extended Learning credit courses follow the refund schedule.

    FOR SUMMER and INTERSESSION COURSES, the refund schedule is 100% prior to the first week of class and 0% thereafter.


    In the case of extenuating circumstances, in which you feel you may be eligible for a refund outside of the normal refund schedule, you can complete and submit a University Fee Appeal Form, which will be reviewed by Student Financial Services. Please follow the submission instructions found on the form.

    Students who wish to withdraw from all classes (after the end of the add/drop period) must petition for complete semester withdrawal through Registration and Records located in Cougar Central on the third floor of Craven Hall. If you do not formally withdraw from your class you will receive a "WU" (equivalent to an F in GPA calculation). All dropped or withdrawn classes are subject to the Extended Learning Credit Course Drop/Refund policy.

  • What are my options for financial aid?

    If you are a student who is matriculated (formally accepted to the campus) in an Extended Learning degree program and need additional information about financial aid options, please contact the Financial Aid office at 760-750-4850.

    The Cal Vet Waiver does not apply to the Extended Learning degree programs including ABSN, RN-BSN, RN-MSN, MBt, and B.S. in Kinesiology.

  • How do I request a transcript?

    To request an official transcript (no fee required) for credit programs, please see: Transcript Request. For non-credit programs, you may request a non-credit transcript through Extended Learning by calling (760) 750-4020.
  • Are you a State-approved provider of the Federal Workforce Investment Act (WIA)?

    Yes. For additional information about WIA, visit the America's Job Center of California.
  • Do you offer customized training?

    Absolutely! Customized training to meet a company's specific educational and employee training and educational needs is always available. We can even bring the courses or programs onsite if you prefer. Choose from any of our regular programs or let us work with you to design a customized program aligned with your business goals.
  • How can I learn more about your support services for disabled students?

    Support services are available to assist students with special needs in the academic setting. Students with mobility limitations, psychological or learning disabilities, and/or hearing or visual impairments are encouraged to contact Disabled Student Services as soon as possible to arrange for these services. For additional information call (760) 750-4905 or (TDD 750-4909).
  • What is your non-discrimination policy?

    The University subscribes to all Equal Opportunity, Title IX, Title VI, Title VII and Section 504 regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, age, marital, or veteran status in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy.
  • How do I request a 1098T?

    •  Credit classes - students requesting 1098Ts, please contact Rosemary Henk at or visit the campus website at Tax Information for more information.
    •  Non-credit classes- 1098Ts are not issued.   Please check with your tax advisor.  Or visit the campus website Tax Information  which will also refer you to the IRS website about Lifetime Learning Credit and the American Opportunity Credit [Hope Credit].