Your  Account:

Commuter Programs FAQs

FAQs for Commuter Services

  • What options do I have if I do not bring a car to campus?
    • Bike to Campus
    • Carpool
    • Local transit system
    • Vanpool
    • Zipcar
  • Where and when can I purchase a transit pass?

    Students can purchase monthly and semester transit passes online through their CSUSM Parking Account. Any passes purchased outside of regular business hours will not be accessible until the next business day.

    Monthly passes can be purchased from the 25th of the previous month until the 15th of the current month they would like to purchase it. Semester transit pass sale dates vary by semester, see the “Transit Passes” page for more information.

  • Who qualifies for a discounted PRONTO transit pass?
    Only CSUSM students can purchase discounted monthly and semester transit passes.


  • How do I access my PRONTO virtual transit pass?

    After you purchase your transit pass from your CSUSM student parking account, you will receive an email from the CSUSM Parking and Commuter Services office with a link to download the PRONTO mobile app. You will then create an account using your CSUSM student email address (ex: You will then join the CSUSM Student Group and will have access to your transit pass. *

    *you must receive the email from the CSUSM Parking and Commuter Services prior to seeing your transit pass in the PRONTO mobile app.

  • What is the PRONTO Virtual Transit Pass?

    The PRONTO Virtual Transit Pass allows you to use local transit systems.

    To see where you can use your PRONTO Virtual Transit Pass visit the transit pass website. Some service exclusions apply such as the COASTER train.

  • What happens if my physical PRONTO card is lost or stolen?

    Virtual transit passes aid in preventing the loss of a transit card. If you lose a device that is logged in to your PRONTO account, you can log in from another device and access your card there.

    Physical cards are distributed per request. If physical cards are ever lost or stolen contact the PRONTO support team immediately.

  • What forms of payment can I use to purchase my transit pass?
    Parking and Commuter Services  accepts cash, check in the office and debit, and credit card (Visa or Mastercard only) accepted online.
  • If I ride my bike to campus, where can I park it?
    Bike racks are located at Lots E, H, K, L, O, University Hall, by PS1, SBSB, Kellogg Library, Craven Circle.  Bike Lockers are located in Lots L, and by PS1.  Bike Lockers can be rented through the Parking and Commuter Services office.
  • Is there a place to store my gear when I ride bike to campus?
    Bike lockers for bikes and gear are available for rent through the Parking and Commuter Services office.   There is a $15 rental fee per semester and a refundable key deposit for $30.  The University Student Union has day-use lockers for gear and books near the Commuter Lounge on the first floor and on the 4th floor of USU.
  • What is Zipcar?

    There are two (2) Zipcar vehicles parked in the 1st floor of PS1 (Parking Structure 1).  Zipcar is a car-sharing company providing automobile reservations to its members, billable by the hour or day.  Employees and Students are eligible to join using their campus emails.

    Drivers must be at least 18 years old and have a valid driver's license in good standing.  International driver licenses are accepted.  There is a small annual fee and reservations can be made hourly, daily, and in advance.

    Gas, insurance and maintenance are included in the reservation fee.  Once you become a member you will receive a Zipcard which is your key to unlock and locked the vehicle.  Vehicles are available 24/7.

    To join or receive more information go to

  • What are the advantages of carpooling to campus?

    Registered carpool groups with a valid CSUSM Carpool groups with a valid CSUSM Carpool parking permit are eligible to park in the reserved, proximity parking spaces found in most general lots and parking structure.  To register your carpool group, at least two (2) people in the carpool group will need to complete the Carpool Application Form at the Parking and Commuter Services Office.  

    The cost of the General Carpool permit  $338.  The carpool permit is also valid in any of the general spaces in the General Lots and structure.

  • How can I find a carpool partner?

    Carpool partners can be found by: 

    • Use the Carpool Link form to submit your information and find any matching submissions.
    • Post a request on the carpool bulletin board in the commuter lounge. The lounge is located on the first floor of the University Student Union (USU).   
    • Ask around at your own discretion - there may be someone seated beside you in a class that commutes to and from the same area.  

    The University provides the information above as a means to contact and meet others who may have similar transportation needs. You are ultimately responsible for your safety. The University cannot and does not ensure the lawful behavior of the people who use this service. The University does not screen any postings to this service. You take full responsibility for ensuring your personal safety.   However, by taking some common sense precautions, you can find a ride, make new friends, and reduce your transportation costs.

  • What other transit services can help me get to CSUSM?

    CSUSM is only directly served by North County Transit District (NCTD), however connecting transit systems include:  

  • Does the campus have electric vehicle charging stations?

    There are seven (7) electric vehicle charging stations located in the first floor of Parking Structure 1 (PS1). Six (6) of the stations are located along the eastside of PS1 on the first floor. The other electric vehicle charging station is ADA compliant and located on the northwest side of PS1 on the first floor next to the elevators.

  • Do I need a parking permit to charge my vehicle?
    Yes, an active and paid CSUSM parking session is required when parked on campus including at the electric vehicle charging stations.
  • Which electric vehicle charging station network provider serves CSUSM?

    Our stations are networked through ChargePoint. The seven (7) charging stations on campus are ChargePoint level two (2) stations. Level two (2) charging stations take an average of four (4) hours to completely charge a vehicle.

  • Does it cost to use the electric vehicle charging stations?

    Yes, there is a minimal fee of $0.39/kWh which can be paid through your personal ChargePoint account. Your ChargePoint account can be created for free, for more information on account activation visit: Creating a chargepoint account .

    The campus uses a third-party vendor to manage the charging stations. This fee covers the cost of maintenance, software system upgrades, and electricity usage.