The temperate climate, with 280 days of sun every year, makes it the ideal place to
surf, hike, and explore. Known for its pristine beaches, natural preserves and miles
of open spaces, San Diego's North County provides endless opportunities for students
to enjoy the natural beauty of Southern California.
- Surfing, sand volleyball and other sun activities take place just minutes from campus
at one of the nearby beaches in Oceanside, Carlsbad and Encinitas. View San Diego's beaches.
- Just off campus, enjoy one of the city of San Marcos' extensive walking and hiking trails. From the top of Double Peak Park hiking trail, you can see the Pacific Ocean and
a great aerial view of CSUSM.
- Explore the rugged beauty of the nearly-2,000 acre Palomar Mountain State Park for wildlife sightings and a breath of fresh mountain air.
- Take in the serene setting and the exotic blooms of the desert in Anza Borrego State Park in San Diego's East County.
- Snowboarding and skiing is less than two hours away at Southern California's premier
winter escape in Big Bear and Snow Valley.
Campus Recreation provides a variety of outdoor adventures for students, from bungee jumping and paintball
to week-long wilderness explorations.