A first-time freshman applicant is a prospective student who has not taken college courses after the summer following their high school graduation.
Admission eligibility criteria:
CSU campuses have discontinued the use of ACT/SAT exams in determining admission eligibility.
Are, or will be, a high school graduate or have completed a GED.
- Has completed required courses with grades of "C" or higher in the "a-g" college preparatory subjects by the end of spring. See the list of A-G courses.
For fall admission, all requirements and high school graduation must be completed by the end of the spring term. Courses completed in the summer after graduation will not be considered in the admissions evaluation.
Local Admission Area Applicants
CSUSM will accommodate all applicants to non-impacted majors from the local admission area who meet minimum eligibility criteria above.
- California HS Graduates/Residents Outside of Local Admission Area (Impaction)
Prospective students from outside of CSUSM's local admission area are welcome to apply for admission during the priority application period.
However, because we receive more applicants than we have available spots, they will only be considered if enrollment space is available after local admission area applicants have been accommodated.
In addition to the minimum eligibility criteria above, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- 2.50 or greater “a-g” GPA
- 2.00 and 2.49 "a-g" GPA and supplemental factors, including application fee waiver eligibility, first-generation status, and foster youth status. Read more about local and non-local admission area, impaction criteria and impacted majors.
- Out of State / Non-Resident Applicants
Out of state/non-resident applicants will only be considered if enrollment space is available after local admission area applicants have been accommodated. In addition to the minimum eligibility criteria above, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- 3.0 or greater “a-g” GPA
- 2.4 7 and 2.99 “a-g” GPA and supplemental factors, including application fee waiver eligibility, first-generation status, and foster youth status. Read more about local and non-local admission area, impaction criteria and impacted majors.
Apply for Admission
Submit an application and the $70.00 application fee on Cal State Apply during the application filing period. You will receive an email confirmation once your application has been submitted.
- Check your application status
MyCSUSM is an online student portal which provides you access to the status of your application for admissions, your student records, transcripts, and other admissions materials. Shortly after you submit your application, you will receive an email from the Student Technology Help Desk with instructions on how to access MyCSUSM.
Visit MyCSUSM and check your emails frequently for important information and updates.
- Maintain Your Eligibility
Admission is based on self-reported information from your application. Once you are conditionally admitted, we verify this information against your official transcript. Please make sure to report accurate information.
Your admission may be rescinded for any of the following reasons:
- Your GPA or course grades are lower than what you reported on the application
- You miss any admissions deadlines
- You earn D or F grades in any coursework needed to meet the A-G course requirements
- You misreport or do not complete a required course
- Update Your Email and Mailing AddressImportant information from CSUSM will be communicated to you via email. It is imperative that we have your correct email and mailing addresses. To update your information, go to your Student Center in MyCSUSM and under 'General Information' edit account details.