CalFresh and EBT Information
CalFresh is a USDA-funded program, designed to allow you to live a healthy lifestyle. CalFresh is free money for groceries that you do NOT have to pay back!
The Basic Needs Office out of the Dean of Students Office is available to help students with their CalFresh questions. For more information about CalFresh, Cougar Pantry, and related Student Services, visit the Basic Needs Home Page where you can learn about:
- Make an Appointment
- Learn about Available Resources
CSUSM Dining Services does not accept CalFresh EBT payments at its current locations. The EBT card is accepted at local grocery stores, but not on campus.
More information about San Marcos stores and restaurants who accept EBT.
CalFresh Meal Plan
CSUSM Dining Services offers a CalFresh Meal Plan for all North Commons Residents who are eligible for CalFresh benefits. This meal plan is designed to not impact CalFresh eligibility for CSUSM Students.
The cost of the 9 meals per week plan, that also comes with $175 in dining dollars, is $3,350 for the 2023-2024 academic year ($1,675 per semester).
Signing Up for The Meal Plan
- North Commons Residents must complete the Meal Program Exemption/Change Request by August 1st for the fall semester and January 1st for residents beginning their residency in the spring semester. Residents admitted after August 1st will be granted an extension to submit their exemption no later than August 20th. All supporting documentation must be included with their request. In order to consider the request, residents must submit all required documentation by the deadline. Incomplete requests will not be considered.
- CSUSM Corporation will review all requests within 5-7 business days; residents will be notified of any missing documentation.
- If approved for the CalFresh plan, CSUSM Corporation will notify the resident. If the CalFresh application is still pending, the student must email email@example.com with the CalFresh approval once their application has been approved, in order to remain on the CalFresh meal plan.
- If the request for the 9 meals per week plan is denied, CSUSM Corporation will notify the resident and the resident must choose a meal plan within five business days of receiving notification.
If the resident chooses to appeal the decision, they will have five business days from the time CSUSM Corporation notified them of the denial, to file an appeal.
- Documentation must be attached to the Meal Program Exemption/Change Request. Confirmation that the CalFresh Application was submitted OR Approval letter from the County OR a copy of the SAR-7 form. If the CalFresh application is still pending, the student must email firstname.lastname@example.org with the CalFresh approval letter once their application has been approved, in order to remain on the CalFresh meal plan.