Parking Rules and Regulations
Every motor vehicle parked on University property must have a valid paid parking session (Virtual Permit) or a physical parking permit when parked in spaces reserved for California State University San Marcos (CSUSM). Parking and Commuter Services is authorized to enforce all University parking regulations per Campus Parking Services Policy. These regulations require that the fee schedule be in effect every day and during all hours for both regular daily parking and for parking related to special events.
- Any vehicle parked on campus must have a valid paid parking session (virtual permit)
or must clearly display a valid CSUSM physical parking permit for spaces reserved
- License plate information must be entered accurately; be aware of the letter O vs. number 0. If your vehicle does not have permanent or temporary (paper) license plate, please enter in the last 4 of the VIN.
- The physical parking permit must be positioned as indicated on the permit. Do not cover the VIN. Please ensure the permit is fully visible from the outside of the vehicle.
- Only one vehicle may be parked on campus per valid permit/paid parking session.
- You assume responsibility for all vehicles listed in your Parking Account.
- Vehicles shall park only where their permit or parking session allows.
- Vehicles shall not park beyond the expiration date and time of their valid permit.
- No person shall fail to obey any sign or signal erected to carry out these regulations or any section of the California Vehicle Code.
- Vehicles parked within a stall shall not overlap the lines that designate that stall.
- Vehicle license plate must be properly mounted and clearly visible from the drive aisle.
- Ensure the license plate for the vehicle parked in spaces reserved for CSUSM is connected to a permit on your Parking Account.
- No parking is allowed in any area that does not have a clearly marked stall. Please refrain from parking along fences, red curbs, hatched, and/or undeveloped areas.
- XYZ permits are valid only in Lots X, Y, and Z.
- Virtual Motorcycle permits are valid in designated motorcycle spaces only. Motorcycle permits are not valid on vehicles with more than 2 wheels.
- Service Permit required in yellow Service spaces located in Lots B, E, K, L, O, M, PS1, PS2, behind Arts by the SCI II dock, by the Kellogg Library dock, and behind McMahan House
- No person shall abandon, or leave standing, any vehicle or motorized cycle on the campus overnight, or for 24 or more consecutive hours without permission of Parking and Commuter Services. Vehicles in violation are subject to a fine, removal, and storage at owner’s expense.
- No overnight parking - between the hours of 12:00 am to 4:59 am - allowed in Lots L, X, Y, or Z or designated event areas (Lot B, Lot F and 6th level of PS1) and between the hours of 2:00 am – 5:00 am in Parking Structure 2 (PS2).
- Time-limited spaces will be strictly enforced.
- Parking in Lot L is limited to 2-hour maximum. No In/Out privileges.
- No person shall drive any unlicensed vehicle, nor shall any person stop, park or leave standing any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, upon driveways, paths, or the grounds of California State University San Marcos without proper authorization. Any unidentifiable vehicle on campus is subject to a fine, removal, and storage at the owner’s expense.
- Permits are required in all CSUSM spaces at all times, including the first day of classes; there is no grace period. Parking is enforced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holidays, winter, and summer sessions.
- Permits are for the exclusive use of the registrant and may not be shared. Permits may not be sold, exchanged, given away, or purchased from any person or agency other than Parking and Commuter Services.
- Permits may not be reproduced or altered. Any vehicle displaying or using a lost/stolen, forged/altered permit is subject to a citation.
- The University does not accept any liability for loss or damage to vehicles or property therein parked on University property.
- In PS2, spaces with maroon banding will be open for retail parking Monday through Friday between 6:00 pm – 2:00 am and Saturday and Sunday from 5:00am – 2:00 am. Signs will denote regulations.
- California State University San Marcos Parking and Commuter Services assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen permits. Lost and stolen permits are replaced at full cost. If your physical permit is stolen on campus contact University Police immediately at: (760) 750-4567. Lost and stolen permits are placed on an enforcement "hot sheet" and subsequent use is subject to a fine and disciplinary action.
- Painted curbs are one of the indications of restricted parking; the color denotes the type of parking allowed:
RED ZONE: Indicates no parking or stopping any time, whether vehicle is attended
YELLOW ZONE: Service Vehicles ONLY – valid permit required.
BLUE ZONE: Indicates Disabled placard parking area ONLY. DMV state issued placard/plate and valid CSUSM parking session required or physical permit must be displayed to park in blue zones.
WHITE ZONE: Indicates a timed loading zone.
GREEN ZONE: Indicates a timed loading zone.
28. Painted curbs and times zones are strictly monitored and enforced.
Parking and Commuter Services reserves the right to make authorized changes to the parking rules and regulations.