Lecturer Advisory Council
The Mission of the Lecturer Advisory Committee:
The purpose of the College of Education, Health & Human Services (CEHHS) Lecturer
Advisory Council (LAC) is to identify and provide needed resources and supports to
lecturers. The LAC aims to encourage and enhance communication among lecturers and
departmental, college, and university staff and faculty members to ensure a positive
and productive teaching and/or supervisory experience.
Charge and Bylaws
(Adopted: May 18, 2018)
The charge of the CEHHS Lecturer Advisory Committee is to identify and provide needed
resources and support to CEHHS lecturers. This is important due to the high percentage
of lecturers within CEHHS and the professional scope and specializations of the college’s
programs compared to the university at large. The LAC aims to encourage and enhance
communication among lecturers and departmental, college, and university staff and
faculty members to ensure a positive and productive teaching and/or supervisory experience
Through the collaboration and support with the CEHHS Dean, LAC makes recommendations
to the Dean’s Office concerning lecturer policies, awards, and related activities;
supports the College in developing/revising, as necessary, the CEHHS Lecturer Evaluation
policy and procedures; and promotes the mentoring of lecturer faculty. LAC shall meet
bi-monthly in the fall and spring semesters.
- The voting members of LAC shall be two faculty lecturers from each of the three units
of CEHHS (SOE, SON and SHSHS). One seat will be reserved for a faculty lecturer elected
at-large from the CEHHS faculty.
- Ex officio, non-voting members shall include CEHHS Dean or designee. LAC ex officio
members can also include one current CEHHS student (either undergraduate or graduate).
- Committee members shall serve staggered terms of two years. After a term is served
a committee member may serve for an additional two-years, provided there are no other
lecturers from their department willing to serve.
- The LAC shall support lecturer faculty within CEHHS by serving as mentors to lecturers
through the sharing of resources, information, and knowledge about processes and procedures
unique to their department, and to the larger College and University. Activities include:
- 1.4.i Development and maintenance of a Lecturer Handbook for each Department
within CEHHS in collaboration with the department chair/program director;
- 1.4.ii Development and maintenance of a lecturer listserv for all lecturers within
- The LAC shall advocate for resources and opportunities specific to lecturers within
the College and the larger University. Activities include:
- Establish and promote professional development funds for lecturers who engage in any
of the following professional development activities: continuing education classes
that result in advancement of knowledge and teaching skills (CEU’s); engagement in
CEHHS and/or university shared governance activities; research presentations at professional
- The LAC shall consider issues that affect the wellbeing and success of lecturer faculty
and, as needed, put forward ideas and draft policies/procedures that enhance the effectiveness
of lecturer faculty in the College.
- The LAC shall maintain relationships with other LACs and groups that represent lecturers
throughout the University in an effort to share information relevant to lecturers.