Writing Center Jobs
Writing Center tutors are energetic, thoughtful students who work in one-on-one and small-group settings.
Applications are due by Feb 20th by 5pm. New hires will begin training on March 27th.
- How to Apply
1. Complete a Unit 11 Application.
2. Complete a Supplemental Questionnaire.
3. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a sample of your writing.
Applications with academic writing 6 pages or longer will be prioritized. We do not accept group projects.
If you prefer to submit these materials in hard copy, you can do so to Evan Smith (ELB272) or Amanda Tomanek (ELB270).
Interviews will be granted as applications come in. Final decisions will not be made until after the application closes.
- Enrollment in at least 1 unit at Cal State San Marcos
- Completion of GEW101B OR an equivalent first-year writing course at another campus with a B or higher
- Completion of at least two semesters of college-level coursework
- Good academic standing
- Pay and Hours
The Writing Center prioritizes you as a student first. We work around your school schedule and make sure you continue to thrive in your classes.
$17.20/hour for those with a Bachelor's degree
20 hours/week (including hours working other campus jobs)
- Additional Benefits
- A letter of recommendation
- Training in pedagogical pracitces
- Work experience in an educational/professional setting
- Early access to campus resources
- Work Duties
The Writing Center is staffed by undergraduate and graduate students from a variety of disciplines. Throughout a semester a tutor...Tutors new and continuing students in writing for all subjects
Creates and collaborates for center materials
- Offers assistance to students in all subjects with all kinds of writing assignments.
- Presents about the Writing Center to incoming GEW classes (15 minutes)
- Facilitates writers' clinics and workshops
Engages in professional development
- Takes on passion projects that aid in the instruction of students
- Contributes to the center's culture of community and professionalism
- Reads, views, and discusses documents and videos that increase knowledge of subject matter and tutoring methodology
- Completes online training and occasional in-person training
All consultants complete an intensive 10-hour training program and are eligible for certification through the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) tutor certification program.
If you are hired as a consultant, you will be required to complete a two-day training before the Writing Center opens for the semester as well as complete professional development opportunities throughout the semester.
Please email email@example.com expressing your interest or if you have any questions.