You can create an assignment that requires students to submit a video recording, using a camera and microphone connected or built into their computer. The PoodLL video recorder option within the Assignment tool will create an mp4 video that you’ll be able to view from a player embedded on the assignment grading and submission pages. You can also opt to record audio feedback for the students, in addition to the other available feedback types. Recordings get less reliable as they get longer, so best not to venture over 2 or 3 minutes.
• Use a recent version of Firefox or Chrome. This applies to student recordings as
• If using an external microphone and/or camera, connect these to your computer before proceeding.
• Check/ adjust your computers settings to ensure the attached devices are set as the default for recording.
1. On your course homepage, click the Add an activity or resource link at the bottom of the topic where you wish to add the
2. Select Assignment from the list of Activities.
3. Click the Add button.
4. Complete the General and Availability sections as you would for any assignment. In your assignment description, you may want to refer students to the PoodLL assignment video section of the student guide>Media tools>Using the PoodLL video recorder.
5. Submission types: select Online PoodLL. You can also select File submissions, but we don't recommend selecting online text, as students may use the text field to record their video, which will not display as submitted during grading.
6. The other options will be grayed out as they pertain to regular paper submissions.
7. Scroll to the ------online Poodll ------ settings area within the submission box.
8. Choose from the Poodll rec. Type - VideoRecorder
9. PoodLL Rec. Time Limit: set the maximum time for the students recorded response, by selecting minutes or seconds from the dropdown, and entering a number in the field to the left. Important: Video recordings should be 3 minutes or less.
When grading, you have the option to provide the student with a video recording of
your feedback in addition to, or in place of the other options. Note: you may select
more than one option.
8. Feedback types: select Feedback PoodLL.
9. PoodLL Recorder Type: select Video recorder.
10. Show download link: selecting “yes” will add a download button so students can download your feedback recording.
8. Complete the remaining sections as you would for any other assignment.
9. Click Save and return to course.
Add submission button
Video recording interface
1. Click the assignment name on your course homepage.
2. On the Grading summary, click the Grade button.
3. To navigate between submissions, use the next arrow or the change user dropdown at the top right.
4. If the submission type is set only to audio, click the first icon at the bottom right of the screen, to expand the right pane.
5. Play the student’s recording.
6. Enter a grade to the right in the open box.
The first time you record, you may see a message asking you to click to allow Cougar Courses to access your microphone. If the recorder doesn’t appear, check for a popup window, or your computer notifying you that it has blocked a popup you’ll need to enable.
Click Record to begin your recording. Wait until the camera displays your image before beginning your feedback.
8. Click the Upload button to submit your recording.
9. Wait until you see that the recording has uploaded successfully, then click the Save changes button and navigate to the next submission.
10. After your feedback is uploaded, the feedback recording will display just above the recorder.