LVN to BSN applicants must take a mandatory nursing skills assessment test, in May for a Fall admit, prior to being admitted to the program, to demonstrate retained competency from their LVN coursework/military training.
Because our LVN to BSN students actually join our Traditional BSN Cohort, we need
to make sure that the applicant's skills have been kept up to date for their LVN coursework
if we are to exempt them and award 17 units of NURS course credit for this coursework. If
an applicant's nursing skills are not adequate, Licensed Vocational Nurses may choose/need
to pursue our Generic/Basic BSN program instead of our LVN to BSN, or complete an
LVN to RN step-up program at another regionally-accredited institution and then enter CSU San Marcos for our RN to BSN or RN to MSN programs.
In addition to completion of the required entrance requirements and the actual LVN
to BSN Nursing course work, students will also need to complete any outstanding CSU
GE and CSUSM graduation requirements in order to graduate with the BSN degree. Students may have already completed some
or all of the Pre-Nursing Core and/or non-NURS degree requirements but if students
have completed 70 or more units at community colleges, they may want to complete any
outstanding, non-science, Pre-Nursing Core and support courses at CSUSM to possibly
avoid taking unnecessary electives. Your Community College Counselor can assist you
in making this decision.
Requirements for entry into the LVN to BSN Program:
- All Applicants must apply to the university through CSU Apply.
- A California LVN License; AND Vocational Nursing coursework completed at a BVNPT-approved
Nursing Program OR program approved by a State Board for VN licensure other than in
California or equivalent coursework completed through military training; AND completion
of LVN coursework at a regionally-accredited institution at which college credit is
earned for the LVN coursework and is reflected on a college/university transcript
from a regionally-accredited institution, OR equivalent coursework through military
- Proof of an active California LVN licence must be provided to the School of Nursing
by the submittal deadline for a Fall admit to the program.
- Completion of the Pre-Nursing Core, or their equivalents, with an overall GPA of 2.75. For program entry, all Pre-Nursing Core courses or equivalents must be completed by the
end of the Spring semester prior to Fall admission. We do not have a limit on how
many Core courses can be in progress in the Spring semester.
- Students must complete Pre-Nursing Core courses with a grade of C or better, and courses with substandard grades can be repeated only once. This includes any
science labs which may be listed as separate courses.
- For repeated Pre-Nursing Core courses, the first grade earned will be averaged with
the second grade earned, in the calculation of the overall Core GPA.
- Minimum overall college/university GPA and at least 2.0
- Applicants must show proof of being IV Certified. Proof of IV certification must be submitted to our School of Nursing by the submittal
deadline for a Fall admit to the program.
- Students must successfully pass the LVN Nursing Skills Assessment. If students do not pass the Assessment, they cannot be admitted to this program, and
must seek admission to one of our other BSN programs, if desired.