Short Term Loans
The short-term loan program provides no-cost, short-term financial assistance to CSUSM students for unexpected expenses, related to their pursuit of education.
Short-term loans are possible through generous donors who have made these funds available for urgent student needs. The availability of funds for short-term loans is dependent upon students repaying their loans by the due date (8 weeks from issue date).
Terms of Loan
Students, for short-term loans, can request up to a maximum of $500. No interest or fees are charged if repaid on-time.
Short-term loans must repaid no later than 8 weeks from the loan issue date.
Students can receive only one short-term loan per semester (Spring or Fall), and should budget accordingly.
To be eligible for a short-term loan, a student:
- Must be currently admitted and enrolled.
- Must be a student (faculty/staff are ineligible)
- Cannot have an outstanding short-term loan (only one per semester allowed)
- Cannot be currently past-due on their student account
- Must not have defaulted on a prior short-term loan
How to Apply
Students wishing to apply for a short-term loan can initiate the process by contacting Student Financial Services.
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By fax: (760) 750-3158
- In person: Cougar Central (Administrative Building 3800) Monday - Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Upon initiating the process with Student Financial Services, students can complete the application online via their Student Center.
Short-term loan checks are processed twice a week, and typically are available to pick-up at Student Financial Services 1-2 business days after submitting an application.
Checks not picked up within ten (10) days, will be cancelled.
Please note: Short-term loan applications are processed in the order in which they are received, and as funds permit. Applications that are incomplete, or include incorrect information, will not be processed. Short-term loan funds are available as previous loans are repaid, and the funds are replenished.