Pay Warrant Distribution
Payroll warrants (pay checks) are distributed by Student Financial Services at the Cashier’s Office in Cougar Central (Craven Hall 3800). The warrants are distributed as live checks or direct deposit notices for all employees including staff, faculty, and student assistants. Please note that direct deposit is not available for student workers.
Pay warrant process for University employees:
- University employees are paid once per month. See the pay calendar for dates.
- Authorized Department Designated Representatives (DDR) can pick up pay warrants after
1:00 pm on master payroll dates, and after 10:00 am on mid-month pay days. DDRs will
distribute warrants in their respective departments immediately after picking up warrants.
See the Pay Warrant Distribution Procedures for more information.
- In the event DDRs did not pick up pay warrants, individuals can pick up after 3:00 pm on master payroll dates, and after 1:00 pm on mid-month pay days.
- Special distribution procedures are provided for pay days that occur on campus closure days or holidays. Instructions are communicated to all employees via email and posted on the CSUSM website.
Important Pay Warrant Information
The pay warrant distribution and Department Designated Representative (DDR) policies and procedures are set by the State of California and the integrated CSU system administrative manual (ICSUAM). The following represents a summary of pay warrant distribution procedures and DDR responsibilities:
- Each department is responsible for assigning a Department Designated Representative (DDR), and at least one back-up, who is authorized to pick up pay warrants and direct deposit notices for their department.
- If a DDR leaves the department, or a department wishes to make a change as to who is authorized as their DDR, a new Pay Warrant DDR Authorization form must be submitted to the Payroll department.
- All DDRs must bring a photo ID when picking up pay warrants on behalf of their department.
- To expedite the distribution process and avoid long wait-times, Department Designated Representatives should know their department ID number(s) prior to arriving at the Cashier’s Office on each pay day.
- California State law requires all pay warrants and direct deposit notices to be distributed no earlier than 1:00pm on each pay day. Exceptions cannot be made.
- It is up to each Department Designated Representative to mail pay warrants for employees who have requested their live check or direct deposit notice to be mailed. The Cashier’s Office is prohibited from mailing pay warrants or direct deposit notices.
- Department Designated Representatives have 5 days from the date they picked up pay warrants and direct deposit notices to distribute to employees. After the 5th day, DDRs must return any undistributed pay warrants or direct deposit notices to the Cashier’s Office immediately.
- Pay warrants or direct deposit notices that are not picked up will remain in the Cashier’s Office for a maximum of 90 days.