Your  Account:

CSUSM Policies and Procedures

Students at Cal State San Marcos are subject to the same federal, state, and local laws as other citizens. Of particular importance are regulations established by the State of California through its Education Code. In addition, regulations from the Board of Trustees and the local University directly affect student life on campus. Students are responsible for their behavior on campus and are expected to know and comply with all policies and regulations of this University. Please click on the links to the right to access the most commonly used campus policies and procedures as well as a complete list of policies and procedures.

Post Proposition 64 FAQs for Students

  • Is marijuana allowed on campus?

    No. CSU San Marcos, like most colleges and universities, are held to two federal laws, the Drug-Free Schools and Community Act and the Drug-Free Workplace Act. These laws say that in order to receive any federal funding (think work-study, financial aid, and federal research grants), the university must prohibit all illegal drugs. Since marijuana is still illegal under federal law, it remains an illegal substance to possess, sell or use on campus or at university related activities.

    Failure to follow federal law would cause the university to jeopardize federal dollars that support students, colleges and programs. Also, CSU San Marcos is governed by policies set by the California State University Chancellor's office. The CSU Chancellor has also recognized the risk of federal funds being cut, and has made clear that marijuana policies are not going to change.

    View the CSUSM's Drug-Free Campus Policy

  • Am I permitted to have medicinal marijuana?
    No. The Drug-Free Schools and Community Act and the Drug-Free Workplace Act do not distinguish medical and non-medical use. CSU San Marcos prohibits any marijuana use, regardless of medical status. This also applies to on-campus housing at the University Village Apartments (UVA) and The QUAD.
  • Can I consume marijuana in my on-campus apartment at the UVA or QUAD, since it is my home?

    No. As indicated in the Residential Education Rules and Policies, Federal law and University policies; unlawful possession, solicitation, procurement, sale, consumption, distribution or manufacturing of narcotics or controlled substances is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: consuming marijuana using vapor devices, growing marijuana in your apartment or room and consuming or possessing marijuana for medical purposes. Persons who violate this policy may be subject to disciplinary action, including immediate termination of license agreement. Please review the full policy on the Housing website.

    You can review the Resident Handbook in its entirety at Resident Handbook

  • Can I consume marijuana in my personal vehicle?
    No. Smoking, vaping, and the use of marijuana and/or tobacco are prohibited in all vehicles (including personal and state-owned vehicles, whether parked or in motion), if the vehicle is located on campus property. Take a look at Proposition 64's regulation of marijuana use. You may find that it's still against State law to use marijuana in this manner (in public spaces).
  • Is vaping considered "using or smoking" marijuana?

    Yes. Vaping and the use of marijuana in any form (including edibles and oils) is prohibited. Vaping is also against CSU San Marcos' Smoke & Tobacco-Free Policy.

    Violations of these policies may also have implications on your student status.

    Please review the CSU Standards for Student Conduct at: CSU Standards for Student Conduct