What is an "I" grade?
An "I" grade indicates that a portion of required coursework has not been completed
due to unforeseen reasons and that there is still a possibility of earning credit.
A final grade is assigned when the work agreed upon has been completed and evaluated.
How does it work?
If unforeseen circumstances prohibit you from completing your work in a semester,
you may request an "I" grade from your instructor. If approved, you and the faculty
member will complete the online Incomplete Grade agreement that includes a description
of the remaining work to be completed. Once the work is done and evaluated, the faculty
member submits a grade change to remove the Incomplete.
If you do not complete the required coursework within one year, your "I" grade will
convert to an "IC" (Incomplete Charged), which is equivalent to a failing grade.
- Students who received an "I" grade will not be permitted to re-enroll in the same
course in a subsequent term. A student may not re-enroll in a course for which he
or she has received an "I" until that "I" has been converted to a grade other than
"I"; e.g., A-F, CR/NC, IC.
- Students who earn an "I" grade at the end of the term and had re-enrolled in the same
course during priority enrollment for the next term are automatically dropped from
the course after grades for the current term have been finalized.
Online Incomplete Grade Agreement
Once a student and faculty member have determined that an Incomplete Grade will be
assigned, the following steps should occur:
- Login to MyCSUSM and go to Faculty Self Service.
- Select the Class Roster for the class in which the student is enrolled to assign the incomplete contract.
- Locate the student in your roster and in the Incomplete Contract column, click the Add
- Select the Reason Code, enter the Grade Without Further Work, enter the Description of the work to be completed and click Apply to create the incomplete contract.
- Click OK to return to the Class Roster. Notice the status now indicates Update. This is where you would return to mark the incomplete as Completed and the Date
- Notify the student that the Incomplete Contract has been created and instruct them
to accept the contract in their Student Center.
Once the student has completed the steps below, return to MyCSUSM and mark the contract
- Select the Class Roster or the Grade Roster for the class in which the student was assigned the incomplete contract.
- Locate the student in your roster and in the Incomplete Contract column, click the Update.
- Select the Completed Checkbox and enter the Date Completed. Click Apply to save the changes.
- Click OK to return to the Class Roster (or Grade Roster).
- Login to MyCSUSM and go to your Student Center.
- In the Academics section, select Grades from the drop-down menu and click the Go button (double arrows).
- Under the Class Grades section, click the Review Contract link (under the Incomplete Contract column).
- Review the Incomplete Contract Data and click the checkbox to confirm that you’ve read the terms and conditions at the top of the page.
A message will pop-up, click Yes to confirm that you want to accept this contract.
You have successfully accepted the incomplete contract (you will see an Acceptance Date recorded) and can click Return to go back to the Student Center.