How to Appeal a Course Grade
The Student Course Grade Appeals Policy has detailed guidance on this process, make sure you review the policy. The information provided on the Course Appeals website does not replace the official policy.
A. Determine whether you have grounds to appeal the grade
To figure out whether you have grounds to appeal the grade, review the Reasons to Appeal page.
B. Try to resolve it informally
Before filing a formal grade appeal, a student must try to resolve the matter first with the
- Course Faculty (if no resolution, move on to #2)
- Department Chair (if no resolution, move on to #3)
- Dean of the College (if no resolution, move on to the Formal Grade Appeal)
Documentation of these meetings/email correspondences must be saved for the Formal Grade Appeal.
|For grades received in:||The Informal Resolution Process deadline is:|
|Fall/winter||March 15 of the following semester|
|Spring/summer||October 15 of the following semester|
C. Formal Grade Appeal Process
If resolution could not be reached informally, the student may begin the Formal Grade Appeal process by emailing the Dean of Students office firstname.lastname@example.org (*not Academic Senate Office*) for access to the online SGAC secured website.
For information about this process, read the Grade Appeal Instructions (please note that initial contact should be made to the Dean of Students email@example.com not Academic Senate Office), as well as the Student Course Grade Appeal Policy.
The complete formal grade appeal requires submission of:
- Step 1: The "Agreement to follow the Student Grade Appeal Policy" and the "Acknowledgement and Release" statement;
- Step 2: The "Informal Resolution Process Log and Supporting Documentation";
- Step 3: The "Formal Grade Appeal Form"; and,
- Step 4: "Supporting Documentation to the Formal Grade Appeal Form".
Items (1) to (4) must be uploaded to the designated places in the SGAC secured website. Templates of the required forms are attached to the Student Course Grade Appeal Policy (Appendix A): for a detailed overview of the online submission process, please see Appendix A of the policy.
|For grades received in:||The Formal Grade Appeal deadline is:|
|Fall/winter||March 29 of the following semester|
|Spring/summer||October 29 of the following semester|