department menu

Credit / No Credit

The deadline to request a grading option of Credit/No Credit for Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 has been extended to December 31, 2020. It has also been expanded to most undergraduate courses. For more information, please visit the Spring 2020 Academic Policies page.

What is Credit/No Credit?

Grades of CR or NC are not included in your GPA calculation; however, you earn the units if a grade of CR is assigned.

For undergraduate courses:

  • Grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C are assigned a grade of CR
  • Grades of C-, D+, D, D-, F are assigned a grade of NC

For graduate courses:

  • Grades of A, A-, B+, B are assigned a grade of CR
  • Grades of B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F are assigned a grade of NC

How to request it

CR/NC Request Form:

  • A request for CR/NC grading must be submitted no later than the last day of add/drop (e.g. to request CR/NC grading for a class in Fall 2020, the form must be submitted by September 14)
  • With the exception of language courses taken in fulfillment of the Area C3 requirement, CR/NC grading is not permitted in General Education classes.
  • Unless only offered with CR/NC grading option, a letter grade is required for all major classes.

For Spring 2020/Summer 2020 ONLY:

  • CR/NC must be requested by December 31, 2020
  • CR/NC grading may be requested for all non-major/minor coursework (except courses with the NURS prefix), lower division prep for the major, and upper division major coursework approved by the department (see list of approved courses, by major) 
Fill out my online form.

How to Locate the Class Number

  1. Log in to MyCSUSM
  2. In the Student Center, under the Academics section, click the drop-down box, select Grades and click the Go button (double arrow)
    5 Digit Class Number
  3. Select the Term and press Continue
  4. Under Class Grades, click on the class you wish to change to CR/NC
    Class Grades
  5. The Class Number is under Class Details
    Class Details screenshot