The California Promise is a guarantee from the California State University system that a new student can earn a degree in no more than two years for Associate Degree for Transfer Students, if a new student pledges to and follows specific campus requirements.
Be a transfer student, entering in Fall Semester, and:
- Similar ADT Enroll with an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT), (Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T), or Associate in Science for Transfers (AS-T)) in a major that is deemed similar at CSUSM: you can find the list of similar majors at adegreewithaguarantee.com
- Degree Progress Successfully complete 50% of the required units for the degree per year to ensure meeting the minimum graduation requirements appropriate to the major. The required units per year may be completed in Fall, Spring, and Summer.
- Academic Standing Maintain good standing (minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average)
- Additional requirements:
- attend student orientation upon acceptance to the University,
- meet each semester with their assigned California Promise advisor,
- file any necessary paperwork by July 15 for fall admission (October 15 for spring admission),
- reach agreement with their assigned California Promise advisor regarding appropriate courses of study,
- consider the availability of future course offerings as related to graduation requirements,
- participate each semester in the priority registration process,
- pay fees by the required deadline,
- enroll in required courses (which may include evening and weekend hours) when they are offered and/or available,
- remain in the same major they selected when they entered the University, and
- check their Cal State San Marcos email account and the California Promise website on a regular basis.
- Students eligible for financial assistance must meet academic progress requirements and must meet the financial aid application deadline requirements each year to continue to receive financial assistance.
- Follow the rules! Students participating in the California Promise agreement must demonstrate accountability by complying with all administrative, judicial and academic policies and procedures. Non-compliance may result in cancellation of the agreement.
California Promise Pledge Form
By submitting this form, you agree to abide by the stated conditions of the Cal State San Marcos California Promise.
This completed form must be submitted by the student and reviewed by the California Promise Advisor.