Grade Appeal FAQ
- Who can tell me more about the grade appeal process?
Students with questions about the grade appeal process should contact the Administrative Analyst/Specialist in the Academic Senate Office who will provide expert email@example.com Kellogg Library 5004 (760) 750-4058
Additionally, students may contact:
- Office of the Dean of Students: University Student Union 3500, 760-750-4935
- Student Outreach And Referral (SOAR): University Student Union 3500, 760-750-SOAR (7627)
- Associated Students, Inc: University Student Union 3700, 760-750-4990
Or your faculty advisor: locations vary
Please read section VI. “Grade Appeal Process” of the policy which defines the role of consultants in the grade appeal process.
- Do I have grounds for a grade appeal?Please read the info posted under Reasons to Appeal on this website, as well as the Student Grade Appeal Policy.
- When can a student appeal a grade?The deadline for appealing a grade received in the fall semester is March 15/March 29 of the following spring semester.
The deadline for appealing a grade received in the spring semester is October 15/October 29 of the following fall semester.
- Can I appeal a grade which I received a year ago?No. Your grade appeal needs to take place in the semester immediately following the semester in which you received the grade. (see answer above: fall grades can only be appealed in the following spring; spring grades can only be appealed in the following fall).
- I contacted my instructor during break, but didn’t receive a response. What should
I do?Instructors are generally off contract during summer and winter break and will not reply to email during that period. You should send your request to the instructor at the beginning of the next semester.
- I asked my instructor to meet about the appeal but got no response. Can I file the
appeal?No. You first need to talk to the Department/Program Chair and the Dean of the College and keep all emails to document your efforts. Please read section VI of the policy.
- I talked to my instructor & no agreement was made. Can I now file the formal grade
appeal?No. You first need to talk to the Department/Program Chair and the Dean of the College, keep all emails to document your efforts. Please read section VI of the policy.
- Where can I scan documents needed for my grade appeal?A scanner is available in the library, please contact the circulation desk for the exact location (currently, the scanner is located on the 3rd floor, but the location might change).
- I am having difficulty with the Moodle container. Who should I contact for help?Contact the Academic Senate Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Will a decision about my appeal be made prior to enrolling in next semester's courses?The time necessary to resolve cases varies, so there is no guarantee that a decision will be rendered at the time you need to decide what courses to take in the next semester.
- I have a disability and would like to appeal a course grade, can I get help from DSS?Yes. You may contact DSS at 760-750-4905 or by going to Administrative Building 4200/4300