department menu

Grade Submission

This is your center for information on grade submission! If you have unanswered questions related to how to submit your grades, please let us know at

Please note that policy adjustments that occurred in Spring 2020 have not been extended to Fall 2020, including CR/NC, academic standing, etc. The only Senate resolution that made changes for Fall 2020 was that related to Withdrawals. 

Fall 2020 Timeline & Reminders

December 14: Grade rosters available for faculty

  • To avoid delays/issues with grade processing, please be sure to check that you have access to your grade roster(s) in PeopleSoft prior to December 14 

December 23: Grades are due, as published in the 2020-2021 Academic Calendar

  • Grade Rosters set to an Approved status by Faculty will be posted to students’ academic history beginning December 24 and thereafter on a daily basis. Once posted, students will see the grade in MyCSUSM. 

January 4: Grade processing begins at 8:00am and missing grades will be converted to RD (report delayed)

  • Grade changes will be required in order to submit grades after this time (please note that grade changes are now online)
  • January 4-8, online grade changes will be deactivated. They will be reactivated January 9, after grades are official.

January 8: Grades are official (i.e. grades posted, cumulative GPA updated, etc.). 


  • Incomplete Grade agreements are now available to complete online.
  • For optimal performance and compatibility with myCSUSM/PeopleSoft, the campus strongly recommends using the latest supported browser versions.  Browsers older than the official supported releases have known issues and should not be used. 
  • Grades changes are available online! If grades have not yet been posted (i.e., the Official Grade column is blank), a grade change is not necessary; you can simply change the Approval Status from Approved to Not Reviewed and make the necessary edits to the roster.

Types of Grades

  • Letter grades: A – F

    You will find these grades available for most students in your classes. 
  • Credit/No Credit (CR/NC)

    Some courses are offered only with a grading basis of CR/NC, while in others, students request it through the Office of the Registrar. If these are the grades available to you, here is how they are defined on our campus:

    For undergraduate courses under this grading basis, a credit (CR) is awarded for grades equivalent to C or better. No credit (NC) is awarded for grades equivalent to C- or less.

    For graduate courses under this grading basis, a credit (CR) is awarded for grades equivalent to B- or better. No credit (NC) is awarded for grades equivalent to C+ or less.

    Grades of CR and NC are not included in the calculation of grade point averages. 

    You find more information about CR/NC grades for the Spring/Summer 2020 semesters on our site. Please note: there have been no policy adjustments or accommodations for CR/NC for Fall 2020 (i.e., the deadline to submit a CR/NC grading request was the end of add/drop, and was not permitted for GE or major courses).

  • Unauthorized Withdrawal (WU)

    This grade is intended to reflect an unauthorized (or unofficial) withdrawal from a course. This means the student stopped attending without submitting an official withdrawal petition. It is equivalent to an F in the GPA calculation.

    This grade should be assigned if the student stopped attending before the end of week 9 or the first 60% of the course.

    Please note that a last date of attendance is required when entering a grade of WU. The system defaults to the 50% point in the semester; here are the instructions for editing the default date:

    1. The Last Date of Attendance field does not appear until you enter a grade of WU or F and click Save.

    wu grade step 1

    2. Once Save is clicked, the Last Date of Attendance column displays with the default date of 50% of the semester for a WU grade (it is blank for an F grade). Enter the appropriate date and if you're finished grading, mark the Approval Status as Approved and click Save

    wu grade 2

  • Incomplete (I)

     This grade is assigned temporarily to reflect an agreement between the instructor and student to complete remaining coursework after the end of the semester. Once you have received and graded remaining work, please submit a grade change. All I grades that have not been changed after one year will automatically be changed to Incomplete Charged (IC) which is equivalent to an F in the GPA calculation.

    Instructions for creating the agreement with a student are found on the Incomplete Grade page on our site.

  • Report in Progress (RP)

    This grade is available in courses where assigned work frequently extends beyond a single academic term (e.g. thesis, project, etc.). The RP grade should be replaced with the appropriate final grade within one year of its assignment (except for Master’s thesis enrollment, which should be replaced within 5 years). 
  • Report Delayed (RD)

    This grade is an administrative grade to be used only by the Office of the Registrar. It is entered for any missing grades following the grade deadline. The Registrar’s Office shall notify both the instructor of record and the department chair of the assignment of RD grade. The RD should be replaced by a substantive grade within two-weeks following the end of the term. 

 How to Submit Grades

Note: as long as the Grade Roster status is not Posted (i.e., the Official Grade column is blank), you may make changes to entered grades. If you have changed the status to Approved, simply change the Approval Status to Not Reviewed and Save.  

1. Click on the Grade Roster icon in My Schedule in the Faculty Center
Submit grades

2. Enter a Roster Grade for each student
Roster grade

3. Once complete, change the Approval Status to Approved
approved screenshot