What is it?
Administrative Drop is a policy that permits instructors drop a student from a class if they have not met certain conditions, including:
- the student's attendance at specified class meetings, and/or
- proof of having satisfied the enrollment requirements
Why is it important?
- opens up seats for other students
- ensures that students are not awarded financial aid that must later be returned upon discovery that the student did not attend (this not only positively impacts the student, but may also save the university money).
Requests are only accepted during the add/drop period from faculty (Aug. 28 - Sep. 11). After the add/drop period, students must withdraw from the class. For more information on how students withdraw (or request a withdrawal), visit the Course Withdrawal page.
Please note Administrative Course Drop requests received by 5:00pm will be processed by 12:00pm the next day during the add/drop period.
To request an administrative drop
For Summer 2023 classes, please send an email to email@example.com to request an administrative drop. The steps below apply only to Fall and Spring classes.
- Step 1: Access Faculty Self Service
Select the Faculty Self Service link in MyCSUSM.
- Step 2: Select the appropriate class roster
Select the icon for the class roster that includes the student to be dropped.
- Step 3: Select the Last Date Attended link for the appropriate student
On the far right, click on the Admin Drop/Last Date Attended link for the student to be dropped.
- Step 4: Select the appropriate options in the dropdown menus
Select Yes in the Administrative Drop dropdown. Select the appropriate reason:
Attended Req Not Met: Student attended at least one class, but did not meet additional attendance requirements
Enrollment Req Not Met: Student attended at least one class, but did not meet enrollment requirements* (e.g., course pre-requisites, preparation)
Never attended: Student never attended the class
*Enrollment Requirements refers to preparation required for the course, as described in the course catalog
- Step 5: Enter Last Date Attended, if applicable
If you select Attended, Req Not Met or Enrollment Req Not Met, you will be prompted to enter the last date attended. This information is used for financial aid purposes.