Your  Account:

Academic Standing

What is Academic Standing?

All CSUSM students in degree programs are assigned an academic standing at the end of each fall and spring semester. They include: good, academic notice, and academic disqualification. Standing is assigned based on your cumulative GPAs (resident GPA and overall GPA, including transfer credit), as well as the total number of units earned.

Below is a description of each standing type for undergraduate degree programs. Please see the Graduate Studies and Research page for more information on Academic Standing for Graduate students.

  • Good
    Both the cumulative CSUSM GPA and cumulative overall GPA (including transfer credit) are 2.0 or above.
  • Academic Notice
    The cumulative CSUSM GPA or the cumulative overall GPA (including transfer credit) are below 2.0. 
  • Academic Disqualification

    Prior academic standing was Academic Notice, term GPA is below 2.0, and the cumulative CSUSM GPA or cumulative overall GPA (including transfer credit) is below the following thresholds, by units earned:

    1.50 GPA for 0-29 units 

    1.70 GPA for 30-59 units 

    1.85 GPA for 60-89 units 

    1.95 GPA for 90 or more units 

Where do I go for help?

We are committed to your success and ensuring you get all the support you need to return to or remain on good academic standing. Below are links to resources available to all CSUSM students.

First & Second Year Students: Academic Success Recovery Courses UNIV 180-1 and UNIV 180-2

New Transfer Students: Academic Success Recovery Course UNIV 302-3

Continuing Juniors and Seniors: Academic Recovery Team

Reinstatement from Academic Disqualification

To be eligible to re-enroll at CSUSM following Academic Disqualification, undergraduate students must submit a Reinstatement Petition. The petition must provide evidence that the barriers or factors that caused the previous low GPA have been removed. Petitions are reviewed by the Dean of the college of your major.

A few things to consider prior to submitting a petition:

The best place to start for assistance with the reinstatement process (including a plan for success), is the office of Personalized Academic Success Services.  In addition:

  • You may not re-enroll in the semester immediately following academic disqualification; this is enforced in order to allow time to address barriers or challenges hindering your academic success 
  • If re-enrolling after non-attendance for more than one semester, you must submit an application for admission in addition to the petition for reinstatement; all admission requirements must be met to be eligible for readmission
  • A well-prepared petition demonstrates that you are prepared to return, having removed barriers to academic success

Reinstatement Petition Form

When you are ready, you may submit your Reinstatement Petition using the form available on the Academic Advising website. Don't forget that if you have not attended for two or more semesters, you will also need to submit an application for admission. You can do this!