Canvas Simple Quick Start Guide
Anxious about using Canvas for the first time or worried there just isn’t enough time
to get ready?
Just keep it SIMPLE:
Start by importing a CSUSM template and/or import content from a previous course.
Insert your Syllabus.
Minimize the scope: focus on just the first two weeks and unpublish everything else.
Personalize your course.
- Add a profile picture and short bio
- If you used a template, to personalize your course follow the “Editing the CSUSM Canvas Template” PDF included in the template. Keep in mind the template is just a starting point, it is not set in stone. Feel free to edit, delete, unpublish anything in it!
- If you didn’t use a template, choose a Home Page. If you wish to create a custom homepage, first create a page. Add text, images, links, etc. using the Rich Content Editor. Then, set it as the Front Page. Finally, choose set it as your Home Page.
Let students access the course by publishing your course.
Engage your students by sending an announcement welcoming them to the course.
During this transition time, keep your expectations manageable and your course simple. Remember that course development is a continual process. Just as you would not task your students with too much at all once to avoid cognitive overload, give yourself permission to focus on a simple beginning this semester.
Take It Further
- If you have the time and capacity, take a look at our more comprehensive Getting Starting Guide.
- Check out our Faculty FAQs page for answers to many of your questions.
- Quickly access all your Canvas Support options
- Explore our main Canvas page