Frequently Asked Questions
- What types of research are supported within the Infinity Lab?
The Infinity Lab is a state-of-the-art BioSafety Level Two (BL2) laboratory. The lab includes a dedicated tissue culture room as well as access to many molecular biology research tools. Research that falls within BL2 guidelines can be performed in the Infinity Lab.
- By leasing space within the Infinity Lab does CSUSM have any rights to my research
CSUSM does not have any rights to your research results. Your intellectual property and research results remain under your ownership and control.
- Why should I consider the Infinity Lab as a space to do my research?
In addition to being an affordable option for smaller companies and start ups, the Infinity Lab offers much of the basic infrastructure required for a research lab letting you spend your precious time on research and discover instead of administrative tasks.
- How do I apply for Infinity laboratory space?
If you are interested in leasing space within the Infinity Lab simply fill out and submit the [interest form]. Someone will get back to you within 24 business hours to discuss your needs.
- How much does it cost to rent laboratory space within the Infinity Lab?
The Infinity Lab offers bench space from 7 linear feet which is only $742/mo. Larger lengths of bench are available, please contact us to discuss your specific needs.
- What is included with usage of the Infinity Lab?
The lease includes use of a -20oC and -80oC freezer space, and access to basic lab resources (e.g., liquid nitrogen, DI and nanopure water) and shared laboratory equipment. Please see Facilities for a more comprehensive list of what is included.
- What is the term for bench space lease?
Currently the term for leases are six months.
- What type of connection must I have with CSUSM to lease space within the Infinity
Education is the primary mandate of CSUSM and we have a vibrant research community. If you do not already have contacts at CSUSM, we can help you build relationships with faculty and students. In addition, providing students access to internship or work experience is a primary goal of the Infinity Lab.
- What other tenants are in the Infinity Lab and how do I know they are not (potential)
If you are interested in joining the Infinity Lab we can share our existing partner list and we can discuss any concerns you might have about confidentiality and shared space.
- What equipment is available to use? What do I need to supply for myself?
Most standard molecular biology equipment as well as tissue culture space is available. As we are constantly updating the lab, a current list of equipment is available on request. Tenants will be responsible for supplying all research reagents, supplies, disposables, etc. for their own research.
- What about laboratory safety requirements and OSHA certification?
The CSUSM Safety, Health and Sustainability department will support safety requirements for the laboratory, including any training required, bio/hazardous material disposal, etc.
- Will I have access to office functionality like printers and WiFi?
High Speed Internet is available as part of the campus community. As the use of hardcopy material has greatly declined, we have not included printers in the lab. If you require a printer for your work, you can supply one as you see appropriate for your needs.
- Do you have office space/conference rooms that I can lease as well?
Conference rooms can be made available with advance notice and depending on availability. There is room to work within the Infinity Lab as well. If private office space is required there is a Union Co-work site conveniently located around the corner from the EL building.