- Deadline for Spring admissions: October 30 for CSU Mentor application and for department application and all other materials
(letters of recommendation, statement of research interest, etc.)
- Deadline for Fall admissions: February 1 for early consideration but the department will continue to accept applications
until March 15.
All applicants to the Masters of Arts in History must meet the University's requirements
for graduate study. Applicants must have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited university
in history or an allied field with at least four upper-division courses in history.
Furthermore, before beginning graduate work, applicants must have completed a historical
methods and writing course and the CSUSM requirements for computer competency or the
equivalent at another institution.
Additional requirements for admission to the program are as follows:
- Admission to the University for Graduate studies.
- Overall minimum GPA of 3.0 with a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the undergraduate major.
- The General Test for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). While the minimum acceptable
score may vary each year, it is unlikely that an applicant will be admitted with a
score less than 151 on the verbal section of the exam. The score must be from a test
taken within no less than five years previous to the date of application.
- TOEFL if appropriate with a minimum score of 500.
- Two sets of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended with
official verification of graduation.
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation that assess academic accomplishments
and potential for graduate study.
- A 750 word statement of research intent describing historical fields of study including
mention of interest and/or experience in media and technology, relevant educational
background, and post-graduate career/educational objectives.
- One formal academic writing sample, as recent as possible. Preferably this should
be a paper from previous college or university coursework and should not be written
simply for the purpose of admission.
- Completed Cal Apply