Nursing Student Covid-19 Vaccination Requirements
Participating in clinical experiences is an integral part of the nursing program. Currently, there are no options for completing our program without being fully vaccinated, including booster. Therefore, we cannot accept exemptions of any kind at this time.
Students must be fully vaccinated, booster series included, prior to the start of the nursing program.
As clinical sites update their requirements, students must be able to comply with those changes. This may include additional Covid 19 boosters in the future.
- What does it mean to be “fully vaccinated” against COVID-19?
Current clinical sites consider full vaccination to be:
- Completion of approved initial vaccination series (e.g., Pfizer, Moderna, Novavax) primary series followed at least four months after by a booster dose of a COVID-19 vaccine; or
- Completion of a J&J vaccine primary dose followed at least two months after by a booster dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
More information about vaccines available on the CDC website.
- What will happen to nursing students who fail to get fully vaccinated?
Any nursing student who does not provide proof of vaccination will not be admitted to the program at this time.
Any student who cannot get additional vaccination boosters, as required by clinical sites, will be removed from the program until requirements can be met.
- I’ve already tested positive for COVID. Do I still need to get fully vaccinated?
Yes, you will still need to get vaccinated. Clinical sites do not accept antibodies or proof of prior COVID-19 infections.
- Where can I get a COVID-19 vaccination?
Your health care provider: Many providers are notifying their patients directly with next steps to receive the COVID-19 vaccine based on federal and state guidance.
San Diego County locations: If you are unable to get the COVID-19 vaccine from your health care provider, the County of San Diego and its partners are offering vaccinations to eligible individuals. Appointment information is available online at www.VaccinationSuperStationSD.com.
Riverside County locations: Please visit Riverside County’s Public Health website for appointments.
California Statewide locations: Visit the California Department of Public Health's My Turn website to make an appointment.
- What if a student has lost or misplaced their COVID-19 vaccination card?
If the individual was vaccinated in California, they may access their record at https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/. Please check with your medical provider if you were vaccinated in a different state and cannot obtain proof.
- How and to whom do I show proof of vaccination? By when?
As part of the admission process and in preparation for your clinical rotations, you are required to upload proof of prior immunizations, including Covid 19, to your Complio/ American Data Bank (ADB) account.
- Is there a mask requirement on campus if everyone is vaccinated?
The mask requirement continues to change according to community risk. Please check with CSUSM as One for current campus requirements.
The university will continue to provide masks at building entrances and from the Covered Cougars Distribution Center, where surgical masks, KN95s and N95s are available.