Call for International Research Faculty Fellow
The International Research Faculty Fellow will work with the Committee for International Research (CIR) and the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research to provide leadership in promoting, advancing, and sustaining the work of CIR.
The Faculty Fellow will have the following responsibilities:
- Lead and chair the CSUSM Committee for International Research (CIR).
- Coordinate,set priorities, and provide leadership for faculty international research and creative activities.
- Coordinate with relevant university units such as but not limited to OGSR/Grants, Global Programs & Services, Travel Office, Extended Learning, UCorp, etc.
- Work with the university to develop protocols and guidelines for funding international research and creative activities.
- Seek and promote equitable access to resources for faculty conducting international research and creative activities.
- Facilitate the coordination of the International Research Symposium.
- Serve as the CIR representative on relevant university committees (e.g., UGAC).
- Participate in Faculty Center activities with other Faculty Fellows.
- Meet regularly (at least once a semester) with the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research to plan activities and provide updates on progress.
- Prepare an end-of-the-year report for the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research.
- On-board the subsequent Faculty Fellow.
- Set CIR meeting dates and agenda.
- Outreach to new faculty members through the New Faculty Institute and other venues to discuss international research support mechanisms and encourage membership in CIR.
- Develop “how-to” guides in consultation with appropriate campus and CSU staff.
- Disseminate guides on policy and procedures through the CIR website to develop a “one-stop shop” for faculty conducting international research and creative activities.
- Submit an end-of-the-year report to the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research outlining the committee’s accomplishments and work plan for the next academic year.
- Archive all CIR documents and correspondence into CIR SharePoint container or other Committee member-only archives.
Eligibility: Any tenure-line or lecturer faculty under a three-year contract is eligible to apply. The Faculty Fellow will:
- Be actively engaged in international/global research and creative activities (strongly preferred).
- Have a commitment to building support and systems to enable faculty to conduct international/global research and creative activities.
- Have an appreciation for the diversity in the international/global research and creative activities of faculty, not just in terms of geography but in methods, methodologies, genres, etc.
- Be familiar with the challenges and structural systems faced by faculty conducting international/global research and creative activities at CSUSM and the CSU.
- Have strong interpersonal skills to advocate for faculty international/global research and creative activities and facilitate connections between faculty, administration, and staff.
Time Commitment: The Faculty Fellow should be prepared to serve in this position beginning in Summer 2023 through May 2025. The Faculty Fellow will support the onboarding of the subsequent Faculty Fellow in April 2025, with follow-up as needed in Summer 2025.
Compensation: The Faculty Fellow will receive one course release per academic year and a $1000 stipend during the first summer.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae. In the cover letter (two page maximum), describe your:
- Interest in the position
- Experience in international/global research and/or creative activities
- Ideas for developing and sustaining international research and creative activities.
Submit documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, March 30, 2023.
Questions? Please contact Lia Uy-Tioco (email@example.com), Asher Santos (firstname.lastname@example.org),
Sheila Van Metre (email@example.com).