LITERATURE AND INFORMATIVE TEXT STANDARDS
- Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the impact of a specific word choice on meaning and tone.
- Compare and contrast texts in different forms or genres (e.g., stories and poems; historical novels and fantasy stories) in terms of their approaches to similar themes and topics.
- Analyze a particular point of view or cultural experience reflected in a work of literature from outside the United States, drawing on a wide reading of world literature.
- Use precise words and phrases, relevant descriptive details, and sensory language to convey experiences and events.
- Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.