Outdoor Adventures has been introducing Cougars to the outdoors since 2008. We offer opportunities to meet new people, see new places, and have new and diverse experiences. Whether you have hiked before or are just now becoming curious about outdoor recreation, our trips are for CSUSM students wanting to explore.
Our goal for all Outdoor Adventure trips is to build group unity through a cooperative effort by appreciating a wilderness adventure and creating friendships. We challenge students and ourselves to break away from the day-to-day routines. You can choose from day trips, to weekend trips, and to extended week-long excursions that vary in outdoor activities.
Our trips are led by CSUSM student guides, many of whom have acquired extensive wilderness training and enjoy sharing their love and avidity for the outdoors with others! So take the plunge and join in on the adventures!
Be sure to follow us on Instagram @csusmrec for updates, information, and more.
You can also sign up to receive the Outdoor Adventure Newsletter for updates, trip reminders, job/volunteer opportunities, opportunity drawings, workshops, and more.
- Please note that due to the unpredictable nature of outdoor recreation, all locations, activities, and schedules are subject to change. While we have a deep appreciation for Mother Nature, planning around her can sometimes be challenging. Factors such as weather conditions, water levels, trail conditions, road closures, and fires can alter any trip with little or no prior notice. We sincerely appreciate the patience, understanding, and flexibility of all individuals involved in our outings. In the event that changes need to be made, we will promptly update our information and notify registered participants as soon as possible.
- It is important to mention that CSUSM Outdoor Adventures, including its employees and volunteers, cannot be held liable for any damages incurred during the outings. All participants will be required to sign a waiver and release form. Additionally, please be aware that our trips strictly adhere to a policy of no alcohol, smoking, tobacco, or illegal substances.
- CSUSM Outdoor Adventures does not assume responsibility for any lost, damaged, or stolen equipment.
Learning Outcomes for Students Who Participate in an Outdoor Adventure Trip:
- Develop skills for outdoor activitiesStudents will learn basic skills for outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, rock climbing, and kayaking. They will learn how to use appropriate gear and equipment, develop techniques for safety, and plan a trip on their own.
- Cultivate environmental awareness
Students will gain a deeper understanding of environmental issues and sustainability. They will learn about the impact of human activities on natural resources and ecosystems, and explore ways to minimize their ecological footprint while enjoying outdoor activities.
- Promote physical fitness and well-being
Students will engage in physical activities that promote health and well-being, such as hiking, rock climbing, kayaking, and more.
- Enhance personal growth and self-awareness
Students will have the opportunity to challenge themselves and step outside their comfort zones. They will learn about their own strengths and weaknesses, and develop self-confidence and resilience through outdoor participation.
- Foster appreciation for cultural diversity
Students will have the opportunity to interact with peers from diverse backgrounds and learn about different cultures and perspectives. They will develop respect for cultural differences and build empathy and understanding through shared outdoor experiences.
Outdoor Adventures + 8 Dimensions of Wellness
The eight dimensions of wellness are a holistic model for health and well-being that includes emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual, environmental, occupational, and financial wellness. Outdoor Adventures can support and enhance each of these dimensions of wellness in the following ways:
- 1. Emotional Wellness
Participating in outdoor activities can improve emotional wellness by reducing stress and anxiety, promoting relaxation, and increasing feelings of joy and satisfaction.
- 2. Intellectual Wellness
Exploring the outdoors can enhance intellectual wellness by promoting curiosity and learning about nature, history, and culture, and engaging in critical thinking and problem-solving.
- 3. Physical Wellness
Outdoor activities promote physical wellness by providing opportunities for exercise, improving cardiovascular health, and promoting physical strength, endurance, and flexibility.
- 4. Social Wellness
Participating in outdoor programming can improve social wellness by building relationships and connections with peers and leaders, fostering a sense of community, and promoting teamwork and collaboration.
- 5. Spiritual Wellness
Engaging with nature and outdoor spaces can promote spiritual wellness by fostering a sense of awe, wonder, and appreciation for the natural world, and promoting a connection with something greater than oneself.
- 6. Environmental Wellness
Outdoor Adventures can promote environmental wellness by fostering an appreciation for the natural world, promoting sustainable practices, and educating participants about environmental conservation and preservation. See Leave No Trace Principles below.
- 7. Occupational WellnessParticipating in outdoor activities can promote occupational wellness by providing opportunities for career exploration in fields such as outdoor education, recreation, and conservation.
- 8. Financial Wellness
Outdoor Adventures provides subsidized experiences which can promote financial wellness by providing affordable opportunities for outdoor exploration and adventure, reducing financial stress, and promoting financial literacy and responsibility.