Courses within Literacy Education prepare teachers to assist other teachers and administrators
in creating literacy programs that promote not only the learning of reading and writing,
but also the learning of subject matter across the curriculum. Candidates may earn
a Reading and Literacy Added Authorization, a Reading and Literacy Leadership Specialist Credential, or use courses within this
area to satisfy the 21-unit course electives required for the M.A. Literacy Education
Student Learning Outcomes for Reading and Literacy Leadership Specialist Credential
The student learning outcomes for the Reading and Literacy Leadership Specialist Credential
are defined by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Reading and Literacy
Leadership Specialist Credential authorizes the holder to provide the following services
as a reading specialist in any grade level K-12, or in classes organized for adults:
- Assist and support the classroom teacher in reading instruction and teaching strategies.
- Select and adapt reading instruction materials; plan and conduct reading staff development.
- Assess student progress and monitor student achievement in reading.
- Provide direct reading intervention work with students.
- Develop and coordinate reading programs at the school, district, or county level.
Student Learning Outcomes for Master of Arts in Education
- Meet California Commission on Teacher Credentialing English Learner competencies,
if not already met through a basic credential program.
- Create a Social Justice Action Plan
- Be effective consumers of educational research
- Develop and apply research skills to address practice within the candidate’s teaching
- Meet additional individually-designed program outcomes that address their professional