COVID-19 Safety Protocols
We are still recommending the general safety protocols for infection control:
- GET VACCINATED - Use VaccineFinder to locate a COVID vaccine near you.
- Stay home when you are sick or not feeling well.
- If you have been exposed to someone that has tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 14 days, follow suggested protocols.
- Face Coverings – When required and recommended, utilize Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) or Community Protective Equipment (CPE).
- Practice Cough Etiquette – Remember to always cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, or use the inside of your elbow.
- Hand Hygiene – Wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or utilize hand sanitizer when running water and soap is not available.
- Distancing – Although physical distancing is no longer required, it is always recommended to give people their space when it is possible. It is equally important to know what the comfort level is when you approach another person during your initial greetings. Hugging and handshakes are not recommended.
- Avoid sharing food, cups or utensils.
Face Covering Guidance
- At this time, face coverings are not required. We fully support and respect those who wish to continue wearing face coverings as an effective way to protect oneself and others.
- A face covering is defined as a surgical mask, a medical procedure mask, a respirator worn voluntarily, or a tightly woven fabric or non-woven material of at least two layers. A face covering has no visible holes or openings and must cover the nose and mouth. A face covering does not include a scarf, ski mask, balaclava, bandana, turtleneck, collar, or single layer of fabric. Source: 8 CCR §3205(b)(8)
- N-95 & KN95 Respirators are provided by request to employees through the Covered Cougar Distribution Center for voluntary use.
- Face shields: Clear face shields will be offered to faculty, staff, and students where applicable due to the nature of their work and/or their work areas. This may include work in research laboratories or other instructional spaces where maintaining sufficient social distancing is challenging. In this case, it is used in conjunction with a face covering. Also, it is used for approved accommodations (via HR or DSS). The face shields are reusable and can be disinfected after use with disinfectant spray or disinfecting wipes. The face shield when used without a face covering must include a drape. This drape is adhered to the bottom of the shield.
- Agency communications on masks:
- COVID-19 On-Campus Worksite Exposure
- COVID Symptoms | CDC
- COVID Symptoms Self Checker | CDC
- Covered Cougar Distribution Center | COVID-19 Supplies
- Find a testing site
- Information on Vaccines (Myth vs. Fact) | SD County HHSA
- I'm Fully Vaccinated, Now What? (English, Spanish) | SD County HHSA
- Keep California Healthy | CA.gov
- My Turn CA (vaccination information) | California Department of Public Health