To support our Sustainability and waste minimization goals, SH&S encourages generators of this waste to take appropriate
steps to recycle whenever practical. The following steps may be used as a guide to
render canisters into a reyclable state for those who are comfortable in doing so.
- Ensure the canister is completely empty. Burn off any remaining gas outside or in
a well-ventilated area, away from open flames or ignition sources. Understand that the
burn rate will be slow due to low pressure in the canister, so this may take a while.
Even after the flame sputters out, keep the valve open to let residual vapors escape.
- Once confident that the canister is empty of all traces of gas, puncture it (preferably
with a designated tool).
- A hammer and nail may be used with a cloth rag covering the canister to reduce the
likelihood of generating a spark.
- Draw a cirlce around each puncture hole with permanent marker and clearly label the
canister as "EMPTY".
- Take the canister to the USB scrap metal bin for recycling.