Your  Account:
Human Resources

Workers' Compensation

Workers' Compensation (WC) provides immediate medical attention and other benefits when an employee suffers an injury or illness arising out of the course of their employment.  Workers' Compensation is for faculty, staff (including student assistants, while working), officially recognized campus volunteers and sometimes students at placement sites.

In the event that you are injured or become ill due to a work-related condition, Workers' Compensation insurance provides payment of reasonable and necessary medical expenses and compensation for lost wages, if applicable. This coverage applies for injuries that require first aid, as well as more serious injuries. Under Workers' Compensation law, these benefits are available to help you if you sustain a work-related injury or illness.  Sedgwick CMS is the plan administrator for the CSU's Workers' Compensation program.

Consultation between an employee and an advisor

Information for Supervisors

In compliance with California Workers' Compensation Law, an employer must report all work-related injuries or illnesses arising out of and in the course of employment. Supervisors should notify the WC Coordinator upon notice of a work-related injury or illness, and complete the necessary "CSUSM Employee Accident/Incident" form as directed by SH&S within one day of an incident occurring and adhere to the workers' compensation procedural guide.



Information for Employees

Employees are covered for any injury/illness arising out of, or in the course of, employment. All job-related injuries or illnesses should be immediately reported to the employee's supervisor, no matter how minor the injury may be.

At the time of the reported injury, the Workers' Compensation Coordinator will communicate your workers' compensation rights and provide the forms necessary to file a claim.  Employees should only complete the DWC-1 Claim form if they wish to initiate the claims process, otherwise just completing the Intake Sheet will document the incident.

After Hours Information

Emergency/Medical Treatment Required
Dial 911 and/or go to the nearest emergency or urgent care treatment facility.
To ensure SH&S is properly notified, call UPD at (760) 750-4567 as mandatory OSHA reporting requirements must be met. Notify the WC Coordinator via email ( or leave a voicemail at (760) 750-4416, and the appropriate paperwork will be handled the next business day.

After-Hour Medical Locations

If the contracted Urgent Care Facility is not open, or the employee is off-site, the employee may go to any Urgent Care Facility or Emergency Room. The employee should advise the medical facility's staff that the visit is due to a work-related injury, the treating facility will contact our WC Coordinator. In general, the employee will not be billed for services. If the employee is asked to make a payment at the time of treatment, receipts should be retained for reimbursement through the WC Claim process.

Non-Emergency/Non-Urgent Medical Treatment Required
For non-serious injuries/illness that do not require immediate medical assistance, notify the WC Coordinator via email ( or leave a voicemail at (760) 750-4416, and the appropriate paperwork and medical needs will be handled the next business day.

IMPORTANT: Supervisors are to complete the required CSUSM Employee Accident/Incident Form immediately and submit as the form instructs.  Our WC Coordinator will follow up the next business day to complete the necessary Workers' Compensation Claim paperwork.
(The CSUSM Employee Accident/Incident Form is located on SH&S forms website:

Additional Resources

Please contact the Workers' Compensation Coordinator for assistance or if you have any questions about work-related inuries or illnesses.

Important Contacts

Emergency: 911
University Police: (760) 750-4567

Workers' Comp Coordinator:
(760) 760-4438 |

Office of Human Resources:
(760) 750-4416 |

Safety, Health & Sustainability:
(760) 750-4502 |

Ergonomics Program Coordinator:
(760) 750-4502 |

Auxiliary/Grant Employees

Auxiliary/Grant Employees (CSUSM Corporation) have their own Injury Reporting procedures and contacts.

Medical Facilities

Medical treatment is authorized by the Workers' Compensation Coordinator when necessary. CSUSM has designated medical facilites to provide treatment to injured employees. If an injury is severe, call 911. If an injury occurs after hours, follow the after hours information above.