When welcoming a volunteer, campus departments have the responsibility to instruct volunteers on safety practices, volunteer assignments, appropriate reporting structure, and scope of services and injury reporting requirements.
Volunteers, while not paid, must have the necessary training and/or supervision to safely carry out the volunteer work and depending on the particular function to be performed, must meet the approved license/certification and CSU requirements prior to beginning the appointment. Each department is responsible for recruiting their volunteers and following internal department procedures.
The department will initiate the Volunteer Appointment Form in AdobeSign and complete section I, which contains:
- Volunteer email address
- Supervisor/Lead Worker and Appropriate Administrator (MPP)
- Description of duties
- Assigned days/hours
- Appointment needs: parking permit, keys, email access, etc.
CSUSM conducts background checks and/or LiveScans for employees and volunteers who:
- Work with students or minors under the age of 18 (LiveScan); or
- Work with or handle cash/credit transactions and/or sensitive personal data (Background Check);
It is recommended to initiate the Volunteer Appointment Form at least 7-10 business days prior to the start of the appointment to provide time for the background check or LiveScan to clear. Your volunteer may not begin their appointment until they pass their background check or LiveScan.
License & Certifications
An individual who volunteers services in a field which requires a professional license or certificate must provide a valid copy. The department is responsible for ensuring a copy of any applicable license/certificate is received and attached to the Volunteer Appointment Form.
Driving on University Business
Volunteers driving on official CSUSM business are required to complete the Defensive Driving training through LearnerWeb. Departments are responsible for emailing a copy of the fully executed Volunteer Appointment Form to email@example.com where Safety, Health and Sustainability will assign the training.
If the volunteer requires a parking permit, a copy of the fully executed Volunteer Appointment Form can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteers can also bring a copy of the fully executed Volunteer Appointment Form directly to Parking and Commuter Services or request a permit via email. See Volunteer Parking Guidelines for additional information.
If the volunteer will need email access, an ESP must be submitted. It is recommended to submit the ESP after receiving the fully executed Volunteer Appointment Form which will contain the volunteer's POI number.
If the volunteer will need keys or access to secured areas, the department must complete the Key Access Request Form and attach a copy of the fully executed Volunteer Appointment Form.
Training & Safety
It is the responsibility of the department to train and provide all volunteer's with campus safety and resource procedures. All work-related injuries should be immediately reported to the Appropriate Administrator and the Office of Human Resources at email@example.com or (760) 750-4427.
A volunteer may be entitled to reimbursement of certain travel expenses in accordance with University policies and procedures. Expenses must be approved in advance by the Appropriate Administrator and appropriate documentation submitted to the Travel office.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can a volunteer receive academic credit for their service?
Current students who provide service in connection with a CSUSM academic course or program must go through the Career Center.
Current students receiving academic credit through outside institutions may be considered volunteers.
- Are volunteers eligible for campus e-mail?Yes. Upon receiving the fully executed Volunteer Appointment Form, the department must submit an ESP and indicate the volunteer's POI number.
- Are volunteers eligible for a parking permit?Yes. Upon receiving the fully executed Volunteer Appointment Form, the department or volunteer must email firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of the agreement. Parking Services will issue a complimentary virtual permit for the volunteer for the duration of their appointment.
- How do I volunteer for Commencement?Current staff, faculty, and/or student employees who volunteer for Commencement must go through the Commencement Office.
- Are volunteers covered under Workers Compenstaion?
Yes. Individuals who serve as volunteers are covered as employees for the purposes of Workers' Compensation and state liability coverage.
The Univesity does not provide Workers' Compensation coverage to students participating in University-sponsored community service learning programs.
- Do volunteers need a valid driver's license?
If a volunteer is driving on official CSUSM business, they must possess a valid driver's license, proof of liability insurance, have a good driving record, and complete the Defensive Driving training through LearnerWeb.
Please contact email@example.com to assign your volunteer the training.
- Are volunteers entitled to travel reimbursements?
A volunteer may be entitled to reimbursement for travel expenses in accordance with University procedures of travel expenses and allowances.
Visit the Travel Office website for additional information.
- What if a volunteer ends their appointment early or if their services are no longer
Volunteers provide service at their own free will and upon approval by the department appropriate administrator.
Please notify firstname.lastname@example.org if an appointment is ending early.
Guidelines and Resources
- Volunteer Appointment Form (select: FA-Human_Resources(HR)-Volunteer_Form)
- Parental Consent Form for Minors
- CSUSM Volunteer Guidelines
- Volunteer Checklist
- Parking Permit Guidelines
- Mandated Reporter - Executive Order 1083
- Discrimination and Harassment - Executive Order 1096
- Workers Compensation Pamphlet - English
- Workers Compensation Pamphlet - Spanish
- CSU Policy on the Employment of Minors
- CSU Volunteer Policy
For questions regarding the volunteer forms or process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (760) 750-4412 or email@example.com.