Volunteers are an integral part of the CSUSM community. Through the engagement of volunteers, CSUSM is further able to provide valuable service to the community and state-wide in many ways including assisting athletic events, providing educational opportunities, assisting patrons on campus and much more.
A volunteer is defined as an individual who performs work or provides services without compensation. These services may be performed for a semester, academic year, calendar year, session, event, or any part thereof.
All volunteers are required to sign and date the Volunteer Appointment Form prior to the beginning of each appointment which contains the following information:
- Volunteer's name, address, and telephone number
- Volunteer's emergency contact information
- Assignment and summary of duties
- Social Security Number and Date of Birth (HR will reach out directly)
In an effort to provide the safest possible environment for students, visitors, employees, and to enhance the security of all physical resources, CSUSM conducts criminal record checks or LiveScans for employees and volunteers who:
- Work with students or minors under the age of 18 (LiveScan); or
- Work with or handle cash/credit transactions (Background Check); or
- Work with or have access to sensitive, level 1 data (Background Check)
You may not begin your volunteer appointment until you clear a background check or LiveScan.
Volunteers under the age of 18 (unless they are a high school graduate or equivalent) must complete the Parental Consent Form and attach the form and a valid work permit to the Volunteer Appointment Form.
Individuals performing services in a field which requires a professional license or certificate must attach a copy to the Volunteer Appointment Form prior to the performance of duties.
If the volunteer requires a parking permit, a copy of the fully executed Volunteer Appointment Form can be requested via email to Parking and Commuter services at email@example.com or taken directly to Parking and Commuter Services. Visit the Volunteer Parking Guidelines for additional information.
Volunteers driving on official CSUSM business are required to complete the Defensive Driving training through LearnerWeb. Those that will be driving will receive an email notification with a link to complete the training.
Volunteers must complete all required trainings and comply with all applicable University policies. All work-related injuries and illnesses should be reported immediately to the volunteer's Appropriate Administrator and the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or (760) 750-4427.
A volunteer may be entitled to reimbursement of certain travel expenses in accordance with University policies and procedures. Expenses must be approved in advance by the Appropriate Administrator and appropriate documentation submitted to the Travel office.
- Current students who provide service in connection with a CSUSM academic course or program must go through the Career Center.
- Current staff, faculty, and/or student employees who volunteer for commencement must go through the Commencement Office.
- Volunteers are appointed in accordance with the CSU Volunteer Policy HR 2015-10.
- Volunteer appointments of minors (those under the age of 18, unless they are high school graduates or equivalent), are subject to the CSU Employment of Minors Policy (2004-24).
- Individuals who serve as volunteers are covered as employees for the purposes of Workers' Compensation and state liability coverage.
- Volunteers who drive on official CSUSM business must possess a valid driver's license, proof of liability insurance, have a good driving record, and complete the Defensive Driving training through LearnerWeb.
- A volunteer is responsible for adhering to the travel reimbursement policies and seeking approval of expenses in advance by the Appropriate Administrator.
- Volunteers are eligible for e-mail privileges and courtesy parking permits for the duration of the appointment.
For questions regarding the volunteer forms or process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (760) 750-4412 or email@example.com.