A CSU employee who suffers a disability or injury which is deemed non-work related,
may receive NDI benefits if all of the following four conditions are met. The employee
- An active CalPERS/STRS member in compensated employment, and
- A permanent or probationary full-time CSU employee, regardless of period of service,
in compensated employment, or
- A permanent part-time or hourly CSU employee who has permanent status with at least
the equivalent of six (6) monthly compensated pay periods of service in the 18 months
of pay periods immediately preceding the pay period in which the disability beings.
To qualify for the "six (6) monthly compensated pay periods of service in the 18 months
of pay periods" the employee must have been compensated for time worked during at
least six (6) of the 18 months prior to the pay period in which the disability begins.
The amount paid may be as little as one hour each month for six (6) months, but there
must have been some compensation, or an employee of the CSU appointed half time or
more for one year of service or one academic year or more, or is an employee of the
CSU appointed half time or more for one year of service or one academic year or more,
- Has a disability which has been verified and accepted by the Employment Development
Department (EDD), and
- Submits to a medical examination if requested by EDD.
For more specific eligibility criteria affecting academic year employees, ten (10)
month and eleven (11) month employees, please refer to the NDI Administrative Guide.